Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

mmarks1
Casual Contributor

Depression and anxiety… not coping

Hello, 

I've only just joined so I wanted to say hello. I've suffered with depression and anxiety since the age of 19 but the last 6 months I've really struggled. I've been having panic attacks, I don't like leaving my house so I'm very lonely and isolated. I feel like every body is staring at me thinking negative thoughts which I know probably isn't the case but I can't help but feel this way. 
I just seem to pull myself out of this.I feel sad and teary a lot too. I find reassurance really helps so I thought I would  reach out to you all. 

Thank you all in advance🙏

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Depression and anxiety… not coping

Hi @mmarks1 

Welcome to the forums. There are plenty of people here who are wonderfully supportive. 

Sorry to hear what is going on for you at the moment. I hope you find some great people to chat with on the forums. 

What do you find helps to pull you out of it when you are feeling this way?

I had depression for a short time and in that time I took it moment by moment - if I wanted to sleep, I slept and if I wanted to eat, I ate etc just tried to do what I needed to and eventually it got easier.  Anyway I hope that helps in some way. I also found meditation and journalling helped a lot. 

Take care. 

hi @mmarks1
I'm 28 and have been dealing with my mental health for a number of year now
you're never alone on here and i do hope you find connections
Always remember if you place a @ symbole in front of a user name then that person can be notified about what you said

Do you have support networks?

Hi and welcome, @mmarks1  🙂

It sounds like you're in a bad place 😞

I'm wondering if you have any professional support at the moment? Like a trusted GP / meds / a counsellor / psychologist / psychiatrist?

You can type any topic into the search bar above to find threads on that topic. 

I hope you find the forums supportive. 

Thank you so much🙏
I have a psychologist but apart from that I’m doing this on my own. I’m going to look into joining a support group.
I really appreciate you replying. 🙏

Thank you so much for your reply. 
I have a GP and psychologist and I'm on medication but lack family support. They just don't seem to get it! I'm going to look into joining a support group. I really hope I come out the other side of this, 

Thank you again🙏

Good for you for the professional support you have, @mmarks1 .

I can empathise with having people who don't "get it", unfortunately 😞

I want to encourage you...I had 3 years of intense SI (suicidal ideation), and things did get better - a lot better. I haven't been suicidal now for 13 years, and I was suicidal for a lot of my life, not just for those 3 years. So please don't give up hope that things can improve. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 🙂

Thankyou so much for your reply🙏
I find exercise helps so I have just started walking in the last couple of days. Meditation is something I would def like to try, I'm also going to look into joining a support group. I hope I come out the other side of this 😢
Thanks again for great advice and take care🙏

Hi @mmarks1 @Welcome to the forum. I too suffer from anxiety/depression and have for many years. There are some excellent online courses with phone support I.e Mindspot or This Way Up. I found them to be really helpful  in understanding the cycles of thoughts, physical reactions and behaviour and still use the methods taught to alleviate my suffering. I still have the occasional day where things are overwhelming but in general has helped a lot. Learning to do something physical when depressed, despite not feeling like it is essential and learning to slow down and simply breathe through the anxiety/panic is also a good way to return to a calm space. Mindfulness of my breath is the most important tool to deal with these episodes. I wish for you peace of mind 🙏

Hi there, I'm new too and have been living with depression, anxiety, and panic attacks for a long time now. I also don't really like to leave the house and isolate myself due to anxiety, I'm trying to get better at leaving the house on my own but it's still such a struggle. I think we'll be able to get there, it'll be a difficult journey but I think it's possible. I'm mostly struggling with loneliness lately. I'm sorry, I wish that I could write something a bit more positive for you. Remember that you have survived 100% of your bad days. All my best Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance