Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

grandma49
New Contributor

Coping with anxiety

Having a tough time at the moment coping with "everyday" things.  I try to get out and forget about my troubles, but even if I feel better psychologically, my body always lets me down.  E.G.  thought I would try tai chi.  Love it, but it aggravated my arthritic shoulders and compression fracture in my lower back.  Also loved connecting with the ladies after class over coffee.  Persevered, but the pain became too severe, so I had to quit.  I have a skin disease called bullous pemphigoid, which is aggravated by stress and anxiety.  That has flared up again because I am struggling.  Most of the illnesses I have had throughout my life have been exacerbated or caused by my crazy, mixed up thoughts.  I am 71 and thought by now I would have all my s--t together.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Coping with anxiety

Sorry you cant continue to connect regularly in real life. @grandma49 

Sounds like you are listening to your body.  I find it hard to keep active too.

There are fiction and non fiction books about how the body keeps score.  I doubt its about being together, but beacuase we are embodied beings. 

The old the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak ...

Eg:

Written on the BodyThe Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk MD: Summary by Fireside Reads - Audiobook

When the Body Says No By Gabor Mate

Cheers Apple

Re: Coping with anxiety

@grandma49 I'm nearly 50 and I also thought I'd have it all sorted by now (or really, ANYTHING sorted). Unfortunately, it seems that every time I get better at dealing with the world, the world get's worse.

I hope you can find some bright spots to keep you going. Good luck. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance