Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Historylover
Senior Contributor

Catching up again.

Hello everyone and happy Sunday!

It's been a couple of months since I last posted.  I have been trying to sit back and think about things and disentangle the mess I am in re: my earlier post "It's not my Story - it's my Nightmare".

I looked in here over the last few days and wondered if anything was getting better for everybody and found that @Shaz51 had lost her home.  So sorry for your trauma, Shaz.  Such a shock for you on top of everything else we have to deal with.  Best wishes for the re-build.

I've been thinking a great deal about my ex-psychiatrist and have finally sorted the situation out.  It's not that he was an extraordinary psychiatrist - it's that he simply did his job - knowing that, in the end, he was going to pull the rug out from under me and utterly destroy me.  He waited a long time to do that.  It must have been the highlight of his career!  Of his sad and shallow life.

Some have said that he is a narcissist.  I had found that difficult to understand as all I saw was the "kindest, most hard working, most dedicated, skilled psychiatrist, doctor, husband, father - steeped in integrity".  Someone to emulate in a world where I had never known a worthy role model.  What a show he put on for me!

I have been doing research on narcissism.  Some sites attribute certain characteristics while others list more complex ones.  It seems that the person I knew was too good to be true, and all the attributes he presented were just to lead me on and never give me reason to doubt his 'integrity'.  In fact, all the attributes he presented to me - his trusting and vulnerable patient were, unknown to me, typical traits of a narcissist.

I have concluded that the reason that I have been swinging between believing that he is a narcissist and that that couldn't be true of the person I knew is that when I swing back to believing it to be wrong I get a short period of relief from my distress.  I don't know what to do.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Catching up again.

@Historylover  It’s good to see you back. I have thought of you from time to time.

I’m sorry you are caught in your nightmare, it’s a hard place to be, but so many of us understand so well, though our circumstances differ.

I think you will come to some understanding in time, but the pain in the moment, can be downright awful.

Sending you some 💙💙💙💙

Thank you  @Historylover ❤❤

And it is soo good to see you here 

🥰

Yes it was a shock to lose the house,  we are living  at my mum's house now

No internet 

Hello and hugs @Maggie ❤❤how are you today  

Hello @Maggie   So nice to hear from you again.  I hope you are well.  I'm battling on.  My best wishes to you.

Soo good to hear from you too @Shaz51.  I hope your re-build is going well - or at least starting to take shape.  Very time-consuming I imagine - but a new beginning?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance