Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

BPDCarer1
Casual Contributor

Carer Support for Borderline Personality Disorder

Two weeks ago, my husband was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder after a suicide attempt while at home with myself and my three young children.

He has completed a mental health care plan with his GP and is on the wait list for DBT therapy. I would also like to get a mental health care plan for a psychologist for myself as a carer - can anyone recommend any that bulk bill in the north east suburbs? Or refer me to an organisation that might assist with this? 

I am suffering from anxiety and depression living with a partner who is so temperamental. We have three young boys and no family support, so would like to discuss with fellow carers of spouses with BPD. Could admins perhaps direct me to what section of the forum I should post or search in? Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Carer Support for Borderline Personality Disorder

Hi @BPDCarer1  and welcome

I will tag you in some of our social threads. You will find everyone here most helpful.

It is good to hear you seeking support for yourself as well as your hubby. Have you spoken to your GP at all about options?

I  don't have any suggestions for services in your area but your GP should know of any organisations who bulk bull. Particually for carers. I have accessed some great services bulk billed for carers.

I support my wife who lives with BPD and we also have 3 children so can relate to your anxiety and depression relating to being in a supporting role..

Hi there @BPDCarer1,
Welcome to the SANE forums. I’m sorry to hear how tough it has been at home. You and your family are going through a lot right now. I’m glad to see how proactive you are in seeking support for yourself as a carer.

Due to the anonymity of the forums we cannot recommend a specific psychologist here. You can search for a registered Psychologist via the Australian Psychological Society (APS) website-
https://www.psychology.org.au/Find-a-Psychologist
or via Psychology Today (option to select bulk-billing)-
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/counselling
Your GP can also refer you to a bulk-billing psychologist.

Our Guidelines & Info is a good place to start so you know a bit more about how the forums work. This post also provides further information on finding discussions and topic areas:
https://saneforums.org/t5/Welcome-getting-started/Forums-how-to-general-tips-and-tricks/m-p/933058#M...

I also encourage you to contact the SANE help centre on 1800 18 7263 to speak to a counsellor for support (Mon - Fri, 10am - 10pm). Our wonderful forum members will pop by soon to offer you some support and connection on your journey. 

Take care,
Sphinxly 🐣

Hi @BPDCarer1 ,

Welcome! It's great you've been able to reach out. 

Although I'm not a cadre of someone with BPD, I have first hand experience because I've lived with the condition for over a decade!

BPD is totally treatable. It is not a life sentence. 

For me, I say it's been the most awesome journey I've had. It's made me who I am today, and I can live and function exceptionally well despite facing some BPD challenges. 

Hang in there! I totally agree it would be good to seek support for yourself. 

Please feel free to join us at Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script .

If you have any questions, please ask.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @BPDCarer1 

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about what your family has been going through. You've done well in seeking support for yourself as a carer. @BPDSurvivor @Sphinxly and @Determined have all made some great suggestions.

Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time,

Rosie93

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance