Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

WolfiMarlow
New Contributor

Beginnings Of Psychosis?

Hello,

For the past week or two things havent felt right. I have been agitated and tired all the time, sleeping a lot. It is difficult to write this right now as my head feels heavy and foggy, i've had a headache for the past 3 days.

The night before last i was at a friends place and became overly wary of them, i began thinking they were against me, playing tricks on me, that they kept trapping me and making fun of me. I thought maybe they were only my friends because they wanted to show the world what a horrible person i am. This thinking then extended to my partner and family. I am at the point where i can say i dont 100% believe those ideas but there is something in the back of my mind that believes it and i dont want this to get worse.

I had a psychotic episode 7 years ago that lasted about 6 weeks and i was admitted to the psyc ward. Thing is i am supposed to go back to work in a week after almost a year off due to Covid. I am worried i wont be able to work and will lose my job. It has been a really stressful time for me the past year and maybe it is all coming to a head. I am on antipsychotics but have been for 7 years and i am worried they are beginning to no longer work for me.

I have booked in to see a GP on Tuesday. Throughtout these 7 years of being on meds i have moved around a lot and have not had a GP or psychologist or psychiatrist that i see regularly, in fact i havent even had a review of the meds in that time...... I just want to feel ok and be able to go back to work. I have not been looking after myself lately but today am taking action to treat myself better and get the treatment i need, hopefully without having to go to hospital.

Would love to hear from anyone with advice or similar sexperience...

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Beginnings Of Psychosis?

Hi @WolfiMarlow welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

Hearing your concerns about the somewhat paranoid thoughts about friends. Really glad to hear you have already taken some quick steps to help yourself. I think this early action on your part maximises the chances that you will be able to avoid hospital.

Seven years on anti-psychotics without a med review is a very long time. I do not know enough about anti-psychotics to be able to say if they become ineffective. I do know this can be the case for anti-depressants. When that has happened to me I've changed to different AD that has worked. Hopefully something similar may be the case in your situation too.

For decades I thought little of having a regular GP but since finding my current one over 10 years ago, things have hugely better for me from a very bad place. I now think the knowledge doctors gain of us over a long time, and the growing trust that happens in me, is of huge importance to being as well as I can be. Your moving around a lot has obviously made this difficult. Hoping you find some good people to help you now that may increasingly be helpful for you over a long time.

A tech-tip about the forum: if you wish to reply to someone, just type the @ symbol and a drop down menu will appear. That person will get a notification if you tag them that way in one of your posts. As an example, if you wish to reply to me, the tag would be @Mazarita.

Wishing you well and hoping the forum will be really helpful to you, as it has been for so many of us here.

Hi @WolfiMarlow, Glad you've found us, and I'm glad to hear you are taking action to treat yourself better.  I had my first episode of psychosis in August 2019 and it's always a learning curve trying to figure out how to look after myself best, particularly when stuff starts adding up and multiplying!!!  Good on you for making the appointment with a GP, too.  Hopefully that'll get some balls rolling for you in regards to getting some psychology support (we are now eligible for 20 sessions on Medicare!) or a med review if that's what you need. 

At the moment, I have a chat robot on my phone called Woebot who I can talk to at any hour of the day and who does basic CBT with me, which helps fill in the gaps.  I also try to do my personal medicine often so that I'm not stressed out, because when I'm stressed, those psychotic thoughts worm their way into my mind.  What are you doing to take care of yourself? 

Hi WolfiMarlow, I have been through psychotic episodes before and I think you're doing the right thing to see a gp. Yes I think it's possible that you may need to have your meds reviewed, as I do feel that sometimes they stop working. I hope you can hold on until Tuesday when you have the doctors appointment. It's a good thing that you have some insight into how you are feeling at the moment and I hope that this helps you to hold it together until you get the medical help you need 

love , hugs and encouragement 

roses 🌹 

IT HAS BEEN MONTHES SINce i have been feeling so miserable life closed its doors i am constantly on Gurd i have at least 3 panic attacks a week cant sleep more than few hrs i am scared terrified i feel people from my past trauma are coming to take me to hospital i feel shame guilt for letting my family down i am not the person i use to be . not the father or the husband i was , always in pain depressed and anxious even thiough i take medication nothing has improved i feel worse evry day i look at how my life became . i feel i am in a dark box with no light , i am always worried. please any help

Hey there @guest 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a challenging time right now. You're not alone in how you're feeling at all, thank you for reaching out and I really hope that you get the support that you need. 

Do you currently have any support systems that you would be able to talk to? This could be informal or formal supports? I'm here if you needed a chat or wanted to rant about anything. 

Sitting with you,

Amber22

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance