Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Julz
New Contributor

Trying to get my Son Involved in the community

Hi there,

This is my first time to this group.

I have a lot to ask but specifically for today I am trying to find a Cat rescue organisation that would allow my son with schizophrenia and I to visit once a month to cuddle the cats. My son has isolated himself in his house and it is becoming more and more difficult to coax him outside.

He loves cats but isn't allowed one in his current home. I am thinking that if he and I could visit a cat rescue centre even for just an hour once a month it would be a great for him to just sit and pat and play with them. I would always go with him. Has anyone tried this before and know of a centre in the inner city Sydney area, that may be Mental Illness friendly?

Thank you

Julie

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Trying to get my Son Involved in the community

I recently made enquiries at my local rspca to volunteer in the cattery. I paid them a visit and had a look around the facility.

For me it became quiet emotional. And i realised i was trying to recreate something from the past. Therefore i didnt go ahead.

I tell you this because i would tread cautiously. Maybe go to the centre yourself and have a look around and talk to who ever is in charge. It may well be that in time your son could volunteer there, which would be really helpful for him.

Other organisations such as petrescue mainly foster cats and kittens to individuals  homes.

Hope you find somethin suitable. 

My husband diagnosed Chronic PAranoid Schizophrenia. I might just follow your lead and check out RSPA here in PErth. What a good idea. 

He has just quit smoking.........

Hi @Chris...great to 'see you.'

Hpw are you??

How are you today @Julz ?

PP

Animal welfare league is in sydney. I googled pet rescue. A few different places in sydney. Worth checking out online.

Animals can be a great comfort, sieze the day just go out there to the local pound & check it out by yourself if you want. It might me good for you to have an outing. The thing I found out caring or more like worrying over my son was my inevitable isolation as well. Dont worry about "mental health friendly" just fake it. 🙂 pound surfing might be fun.  My experience:- Remove the label & take time out every day to just forget MI & go pat as many cats as you like. Im sure if they love cats they will also love humans. Garfield your way into the pounds & away from the label....and all the best, enjoy.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance