Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Sam4me
Casual Contributor

Neurotherapy for Anxiety with Depression

Hi all

I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was on antidepressant medication for some time and through various changes (including my job), I've managed to wean off it. I would not say I am cured...its more the condition is managed and during my low points, I have to take extra effort to work through the episodes. In some cases, I've taken time off work to manage.

Right now I feel I've lost a part of me that protected me - that made my emotional floor not as deep as I find it when my symptoms trigger. Something I keep worrying about is regressing back to my first episode's experience. 

My experience with antidepressants was that they moderated all my emotions. I had no lows or high points - life was bland - akin to the cursed pirates on the black pearl.

I've been reading about a few treatments that help rewire the brain to a normal state. I understand my way of thinking is self reinforcing and the brain builds neural pathways on what we practice frequently  - akin to building mental models for mathematics proficiency. The concept of neroplasticity means with the right approach, the anxiety causing pathways could be suppressed.

I came across tDCS as an option to rewire the brain. There are others like TMS and ECT or microdosing with Psilocybin or similar psychoactive substances. There is active research on these approaches.

The most accessible to me appears to be tDCS, which this clinic uses it for treating conditions like mine. They appear to not need any referral to get started. They use an inital EEG to diagnose issues before strating any treament. This means there is a degree of personalisation. 

https://www.perthbraincentre.com.au/conditions/anxiety

(I have no affiliation with this place. They seem to be the only ones in my locality to have the treatment option)

I am wondering if anyone has tried this or other specific course of neurotherapy successfully? Any idea of options in WA and how you've managed to get referred would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Neurotherapy for Anxiety with Depression

Antidepressants are for reducing nervous tension.

Natural and man made electricity goes against our head. We shape it as the sub,con, suss. 

It is the cause of the depression. 

Push through the crap going against our head.

Here is With. That's what everything is.

Hate this sub,con,suss and be here.

Have you asked your GP about getting referred to the program you've found?

One really good thing about having had the experience of your first episode is that you've got the experience of what you were like when you started to become very unwell. (I know that's a very 'silver lining' thing that you'd rather not have, but bear with me here...) Like, it could be that if you stopped brushing your teeth that first go around, you know if you start thinking 'what's the point of brushing my teeth' or not bothering, that's something you should flag with your people.

Do you have a list for yourself of what you have struggled with when you've had an episode, like 'early warning signs'?

@Gwynn not yet explored the treatment with the GP. I just had mine move elsewhere so have to find a new one.

Yes, I am aware of my early warning signs. But teetering is the word I would use when they appear, If I dont act things can go badly.

Best of luck with finding a new GP and getting that referral. I'm glad you know your signs of teetering and when you need to take action.

Have you read The Brain's Way of Healing? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22522293-the-brain-s-way-of-healing?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=wE... It's a little old in medical terms (2015), but might give you some ideas for how you can get started while you're waiting for the referral.

@Gwynn thank you for the well wishes and the book recommendation.

I read the previous book on Neuroplasticity by the same author and was enthused. I will add this other one to my reading list.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance