Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Linmerc
Senior Contributor

MINDFULNESS

Hi

My husband recently visited his psychiatrist and he mentioned 'Mindfulness' exercises. I have googled it and it seems like it's breathing and relaxation exercises. Could someone provide more detail.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Re: MINDFULNESS

Hi @Linmerc

Just wanted to point out this discussion. We had a special event a while back where we had a psychologist who specializes in mindfulness come in to chat about it.

Hope there's some useful stuff in that thread. Smiley Happy

CB

tria
Senior Contributor

Hi Linmerc,

Mindfulness is a fantastic tool. I also incorperate music with in my day to encorage relaxation. Keep resceaching and talking as you find what works you or your husband may be a little different. It helps me live in the moment and yes breathing is a major part of Mindfulness. Welcome to the forum.

Kindly Tria

Hobbit
Senior Contributor

Hi @Linmerc,

Just wanted to say hi and see how things are going. I thought you might like to take a look at these 2 resources - Mindfulness.org has some great resources on Minfulness on it - have a look here. Also MindHealthConnect has a great page and some really good stuff on mindfulness as well. Find them here.

I wonder if any other members might have some ideas on Mindfulness? @Snoo @Fatima @Annabelle??

Linmerc, I hope this helps,

Hobbit.

Hi Tria and Hobbit

Thank you for replying to my post. I will have a look at the links that have been provided, I'm sure they will give me a better understanding as I have an issue with letting go of the past.

Have a great weekend all!!!

Stay strong

I think i read in the paper where there was an article on it that it is 'stopping every thought at the gateway or something' when you think something which when you are stressed is like every second!  i have tried it and it is amazing how your body relaxes when you refuse to let any thought enter your inner sanctum.  it requires a peaceful place to sit, close your eyes and stop the thoughts!  something like that anyway.  i think my support group ARAFMI has workshops for it but i haven't enquired yet.  must do that.  good luck.

Hi @Linmerc@tria@Hobbit@hopeandsupport

What a great discussion starter. Mindfulness is a bit of a trend at the moment and it can be hard to really understand what we mean when we tlak about mindfulness in the mental health space. How has your husband been going with mindfulness @Linmerc?

I've found this 'explainer' really useful in understanding what it is and this is a good intro into practicing the skill of mindfulness.

Has anybody else use mindfulness in recovery before? What do you like? What do you dislike? How have you integrated it into your recovery and self care.

Look forward to the discussion 🌻

God afternoon @Shaz51, great to have you in the discussion. Have you ever tried mindfulness before? If so, how have you found it?

No @Margot, I haven't but very interested in mindfulness 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance