Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Loving-kindness meditation (Metta or Maitri)

Loving-kindness meditation, known as Metta in Pali and Maitri in Sanskrit, is an important form of meditation in Buddhism.  It has several scientifically-studied benefits, such as an increase in self-compassion and compassion for others, usefulness for pain management, and it helps schizophrenia, depression and anxiety.  (source)

Here is a guided loving-kindness meditation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

Meditative Practice for College Students This meditation will guide you to a deeper appreciation for self and the world around you. Useful for anyone who desires inner peace as well as general relaxation. Written and read by Kathleen Grace-Bishop; Music Performed by Cynthia Chatis. LEARN MORE: ...
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Loving-kindness meditation (Metta or Maitri)

@Appleblossom - what do you think of the above as an introduction to metta?

Re: Loving-kindness meditation (Metta or Maitri)

I love the quiet drone in the background @Gwynn and the gentle melody floating a little unpredictably, and yes the visual symbol is similar to my profile pic.

I find the affirmation a little contrived and dont relax well to American accents (more likely to trigger me). I connected with metta on a more non verbal level, as a general concept and feeling.  However it could work for many people.  By the time I encountered metta, I had done other meditations and often had regular practise, depending on family/work/study commitments at the time.  I tended to have a mantra or breath anchor and there was so much going on in tumultuous manner in my life.  I like that she says 'not to be harsh'.  It is the gentleness in the method that helped me.  I only spoke with the buddhist nun about it once in mid 1990s, and never saw her again as I had 3 small children and was very busy.

It is the simplicity and abilty of metta to be adapted to each person's need which is so amazingly healing. 

Thank you for reminding me of it.  Even that has a peaceful settling aspect for me now.

Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance