Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

NikNik
Senior Contributor

International Suicide Prevention Day - live webcast

Hi everyone,

I was very interestested to see that Suicide Prevention Australia is hosting a live webcast tomorrow to mark International Suicide Prevention Day. There will be an expert panel, who you can submit questions to.

Panellists include:

• Indigenous leader Dr Tom Calma AO
  • Professor Helen Christensen, Executive Director, Black Dog Institute
  • John Brogden, Chairman, Lifeline Australia
  • Dr Michael Dudley, Psychiatrist and Suicide Prevention Australia Board Director
  • Associate Professor Jane Burns, CEO Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre
  • Graeme Cowan, Motivational speaker and Lived Experience representative

If you want to learn more and register - check it out here.

I'm looking forward to listening in myself!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: International Suicide Prevention Day - live webcast

Hi all,

I found the webcast very interesting

1) The means in which it was broadcasted online I found excellent. The technology worked well, clear sound and video. Using online to broadcast this panel means that more people could tune in - more accessible, rather than a live face to face event where only a certain amount of people could attend. I'll be interested to know how many people logged on.

2) The content was great. It was awesome to hear a variety of perspectives from people who were from different parts of the sector. It was also great they had people discuss their lived experience

I found that the common themes of the panel were;

- The need to improve emergency department responses. Developing consistent policies and procedures for all EDs to use. Incorporate follow ups after attempts etc

- The more we talk openly about suicide the more comfortable the wider community will feel comfortable asking someone if they are okay & feel equipped to direct people to help.

- Education - linked to the point above. Starting at schools and more broadly to the work force.

- Evidence based approaches.

- Collaboration across the mental health sector. Although organisations are not clashing on what is right or wrong, or disputing research - there are many organisation who could have a bigger impact if they collaborated.

- Putting people at the center of service design, research and delivery - ensures the service is relevant and has impact

The webcast was in response to the World Health Organisation's report on suicide prevention. The report provides a global knowledge base on suicide and suicide attempts as well as actionable steps for countries based on their current resources and context to move forward in suicide prevention. You can find it here & find Australia's response here

Did anyone else watch the webcast?

Re: International (Bad word starting with S) Prevention Day - live webcast

I will maybe try and find time to look at this tomorrow. This point is really important:

The more we talk openly about (bad word starting with s) the more comfortable the wider community will feel comfortable asking someone if they are okay & feel equipped to direct people to help.

Seems to me that right there is worth the price of admission.

Re: International (Bad word starting with S) Prevention Day - live webcast

I totally agree with you, Chemonro. Talking about it is so important.

As someone who has lost a family member to (bad some word starting with s), I see the importance of talking about it. The journey that my family had was very isolating, it was so hard to talk to others about what we were going through because of stigma, which placed us under additional strain. Thankfully, we had great support from MH services. But within the broader community, finding support from friends can be tough. It's such an uneasy conversation. 

Hopefully the more we talk about, the more perceptions can change, and the easier it can be for people to seek support. 

Re: International Suicide Prevention Day - live webcast

Hi everyone,

If you missed it, you can watch it here

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance