Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Freebo29
New Contributor

I've spent most my adult life isolated. I'm currently in therapy and I want to work towards more intensive care.

I do have NDIS funding. Right now I'm just looking around, getting a feel for things. But it's hard to know what would be best suited for somebody in my situation. I live in toowoomba. At first, my agoraphobia was house bound. But the last few years has grown to room bound. I'm not ready to make any big decisions yet, but I want to be informed. 

I want to work towards out of home living. I'd rather not go into why here. I have few life skills and I need real help with it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I've spent most my adult life isolated. I'm currently in therapy and I want to work towards more intensive care.

I've been making strides towards independent living with the help of an NDIS occupational therapist - they're very practical people, which may be of help to you.

Re: I've spent most my adult life isolated. I'm currently in therapy and I want to work towards more intensive care.

Hi and welcome, @Freebo29 ! It's good you've joined the forums, where you can find peer support for what you're going through. 

I'm sorry to hear your agoraphobia is so bad. I also have agoraphobia, but not as restrictive. I think it's good that you have NDIS funding, that's great. 

We can't suggest any specific services in your area, due to the forums being a place of anonymity, and I'm not sure what to suggest in general terms. Do you have a support worker who could maybe help with suggestions? 

I think it's good to be informed, and I hope you can find the informnation you're looking for. All the best with your goals...

Hey @Freebo29 welcome! As with our wonderful @NatureLover I agree, great to be informed and we are a really supportive community who are here along the way to provide peer insight 🙂 I would recommend reading through this online event we ran, it has a bit of info on NDIS. In addition, feel free to poke around the community - jump into other threads and ask people questions! I think it is great you have a goal of working toward out of home living, and there's absolutely options for you and skill-building is a great move. What sort of life skills specifically do you need support with?

If your new, our community guidelines are a good one to read over too here 🙂 

How do you find working with an occupational therapist @Gwynn ? Keen to hear how your journey has been too 🙂 

Hi. I had gone through agoraphobia in my late teens. Therapy can help a heap. I was fortunate the treatment existed then as ndis wouldn't help a person like me to the extent they did. I was an undiagnosed autistic student the time. 

we worked on my fears and did gradual exposure therapy. Worked in social skills. 

you can use a support worker in the plan maybe even a drive at first. The first thing I did was go for a drive. There is often complexities as to why and good to explore. I did group therapy to in a general anxiety clinic with my therapist. It was okay but again anxiety clinics are now ndis supports.

my issue was underlying poor social skills lie self esteem and low assertiveness. What are sone of the things you'd like to do eventually? 

@Freebo29Good luck with your research and using your plan.  I found it has taken a while to get the most out mine, but worth it.

Like @Gwynn  I have been impressed by my OT.  It has taken a while, but she gave up her own sessions and referred me to a physio which I badly needed, then got back in the picture and keeps making intelligent interventions.  She is young just out of uni but doing her best.  Tbh I am sick of psychologists who have no real plans or put any effort into finding therapy, but put the hand out for govt handouts. I am even angry about it now.  Empty talk is not therapy.  I am prepared to do the work it seems that the OT model of care has more built in accountability and flexibility.  Slightly more expensive in the plan but may well be the thing that turns things around.

Cheers Apple

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance