Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

morningstar
Senior Contributor

How will the budget affect us?

Mental health services have been left alone for this year, but other budget measures will definitely impact on people with mental illness and carers.

No more bulk billing, $7 every time you got the GP for a new script or have a blood test, plus makiing it harder to live on the DSP if you have a disability and all the other mean hits on the most vulnerable people in our society. Just waht we need.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How will the budget affect us?

Thanks for raising this morningstar! Our family are very distressed about this. We have two loved ones recieving DSP. One needs six medications and our other loved one requires three. I think its going to be the medication costs that will really skyrocket for us.

I think this is a big issue for carers as many of us already carry some financial burden and in our case, we will probably be meeting these extra costs. The other concern is that our loved ones will disengage from medical care and their medications as the costs will be too great. It can be challenging enough to encourage our loved ones to seek care when they need it but I think it will be so much harder when these costs come in.

I have just written to my local member about my concerns, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm keen to get writing!

And you are right, our most vulnerable people who aren't able to stand up for themselves.

Wow 3forme - good on you for taking action and writing to your local member!

There's another interesting Discussion here (http://saneforums.org/t5/What-s-new-services-research/What-Do-Carers-Want/m-p/501#M22) by VCS asking what you would ask the Government for help with.

Maybe you could share what you wrote to your local member?

As a current student in considerable debt (from my university education), and a partner also in study, I can't help but think this budget (if it is carried out) will affect our well-being, and many people like us. I guess I'm worried that the extent of the reforms against education, health, and welfare provision will compound against young people in particular, and anxiety already seems to be a problem for my partner, and myself as well.

It can get very overwhelming when we worry about these 'big' issues, and it can swamp the 'small' day-to-day stuff that is actually quite fun and important... I'd love some ideas for how we could focus more on the small daily stuff...

Hey Snoo, I know what you mean.... sometimes we worry so much about what happened in the past or might happen in future, that we forget to live in and enjoy the present, which is all we've ever got anyway! It sounds too simple, but it sometimes helps to visualise the stuff that's important to you and you enjoy as a great big sphere, and then the irritating, worry-stuff as an insignificant little ball next to it. Puts things in perspective 🙂

Hi Snooo,

MorningStar raises some really good points. I practice something called, 'mindfulness', it helps me focus on the here and now - the one thing I can control in my life unlike the past or future. Suffering from anxiety myself, I find it helps ground me when my head spirals uncontrollably thinking about the future. I’ve attached a link with practical exercises, which was written by the Black Dog Institute – pretty fitting with your profile pic. 😉 I hope it helps.

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/docs/10.mindfulnessineverydaylife.pdf

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance