Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Free online course on issues related to caring for people with psychosis and schizophrenia

Kicking off on 9 October 2017, this free online course developed by King’s College London, will be facilitated by Dr Juliana Onwumere, who is a Lecturer at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience, King’s College London and Consultant Clinical Psychologist with the National Psychosis Unit, South London & Maudsley NHS Trust.

Psychosis conditions, including schizophrenia, are treatable mental health problems that can affect anyone although very few people talk about the conditions and their impact on families. Millions of people across the globe find themselves thrust unexpectedly into a role providing support and care when a relative develops psychosis. Carers can play a major role in supporting their relative’s progress and recovery.

This four-week course will explore some of the key issues and questions relevant to a carer who is supporting a relative with psychosis such as:

• Why is schizophrenia described as psychosis?
  • How can we best understand psychosis and its key symptoms such as hearing voices?
  • What are the links between cannabis use and developing psychosis?
  • Can psychosis affect physical health?
  • How do medications in psychosis work and what effects can they have?
  • In what ways are siblings of people with psychosis affected?
  • How can psychosis affect a carer’s health and their relationships?

This free online course will provide opportunities to share your views and experiences with carers from around the world.

You can find out more in Dr Juliana Onwumere’s post for the FutureLearn blog: “How online educational approaches can support the families of people with psychosis.”

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Free online course on issues related to caring for people with psychosis and schizophrenia

The course started today. Very interesting presentation and such a diverse group of participants. Thanks @NikNik for advertising it here.

Re: Free online course on issues related to caring for people with psychosis and schizophrenia

SO glad they are including the impact on siblings.

Very interesting presentation , I agree @patientpatient'

Hello @NikNik, @Appleblossom

Am I the only person who cannot work out how to do this couse

I completed info at the beginning to show interest

now I have missed out and none the wiser

Hi @Former-Member,

Try this link https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/caring-psychosis-schizophrenia/

Not too late to start and I think the course is worth doing... plus it's free if you don't want a certificate at the end. 

Doesn't really require 3hrs/week but also not something to be hurried. There are alot of participants and plenty of discussion.

See you there... real names and all 🙂

I wanted to say thank you for providing the link to this free online course.  I have a 16 year old son with schizophrenia and I found the content and dialogue with many people from around the world to be invaluable.  It was also reassuring to know that I was able to draw on my own, brief experiences to help others.  There should be more resources like this available.

hello @patientpatient @Boo13 @NikNik

I was not able to do the course when I first registered due to my state of mind at the time....

was lead back to here today via Boo13....

reset my password...

then received message my time has expired and need to pay..

very disappointed...no room for people who have a mental illness of their own..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance