Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Carer involvment in Government's MH Expert Reference Group

Hi there,

For all those keeping up with the National Mental Health Comission's Review of Mental Health Programmes and Services, you would have seen the establishment of the Expert Reference Group - who will guide the implementation.

The variety and expertise of the Reference Group is impressive (see a full list here) though it is noted in this article that no carers (individuals or service providers).

Every day in this forum we see carers offering valid and powerful insights into the mental health system in Australia. It seems unfortunate that the Government has missed an opportunity to engage with carers, like yourselves.

We would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Would it something you would be involved in, given the opportunity?

What would you want government to know from the perspective of a carer?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Carer involvment in Government's MH Expert Reference Group

Hi,

We are very interested in this issue and what carers think!

We are concerned current consumer-led recovery, whole of family, peer work and related practice and issues are not adequately addressed by the current membership of the Expert Reference Group.

Looking forward to the discussion!

Jane
Executive Officer
Mental Health Carers Arafmi Australia

As someone who is a peer support worker in the mental health industry, I feel that a minimum of two consumers and two carers should be on any expert reference groups.  Then you have each other for support because it can get very lonely being the only peer.

As well, do we even need this export reference group?  Isn't this why we have the National Mental Health Commmission Report card every year.  Have we not had enough expert reference groups.  I have a feeling this ERG will end up with another ERG and so on and so on, postponing the problem till another government gets elected.  Then the process starts all over again.

As someone who works as a support worker for people with a mental illness, plus as a carer for a family member with mental illness, plus as a person with lived experience I believe there needs to be adequate representation of all areas of mental health. From professionals/practitioners through to support/peer workers through to carers/families/friends and participants/persons with a mental illness. It's the only way to get a truly balanced Expert Reference Group and to ensure that every level of mental health care is represented and given a voice.

With Australia using the recovery focus model, who better to know what is needed than the people involved in giving and receiving those recovery focussed services.

The Group seems heavy on professional knowledge, and light on personal experience, and personal experience often has the power to change and shape the way mental health care and support is provided. 

I am a Carer (mainly a mum) of an adult son with a diagnosed mental illness. I am very involved with mental health, and attend and are actively involved in groups, forums, conferences etc. I have spent the time and energy being involved to contribute and collaborate in helping to make the mental health system better for our loved ones, ourselves and the workers.  I am at retirement age, and was looking forward to being a grey nomad, however that has been put on hold for a while.  I would not be the person I am, if I did not try to contribute to make something that was not working WORK. The system was NOT WORKING, and it has only been through the consistent commitment of people like me, that recognition and changes are being talked about, addressed and acted upon.

I am appalled that these highly knowledgeable people, who have done much canvassing of carers opinions are really only just' ticking the boxes'.  Active and involved Carers always need to be involved at the Coal Face. If they are serious about making the system better, then they need to get off their high horse, put in their hearing plugs and listen. Carers are not going away, they are to be heard.

Thanks @BlueButterfly50  @AngelHeart68 and @fran

We apprecaite you sharing your insight and passion on this matter. If you want to push this with you local MP, here are some resources to assist you to do so.

Below are 2 linked with  information regarding writing to MPs.

Writing to your MP | Oxfam Australia :How to make an impact when writing a letter or email to your MP.
Read more...

How to contact your local MP: Read more...

The following link provides really helpful information on how to correctly address politicians and also provides all of their contact details.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Guidelines_for_Contacting_Senators_and_Members

The following link enables you to search for your local MP.

http://www.australia.gov.au/directories/contact-government

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance