Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday **closed**: The media and mental health

Mental illness got a lot of media attention the week just passed during the Mental Health Week. As many of you may have seen it was the ABC's MentalAs week.

So what did you think about how the media reported mental illness? Have you ever wondered about a journalist's role in covering mental illness? What guidelines - if any -  do they follow? 

This month's Topic Tuesday we will be joined by @Jenni_H, ex-ABC journalist, and the current coordinator of Stigma Watch -  A SANE Australia project that monitors how mental illness is reported in the media. 

This discussion will be opportunity to talk about the role of journalists in reporting mental illness, and it will be an opportunity for @Jenni_H to hear your views of the media, which can help her in her role in Stigma Watch. 

Join us 7 - 9pm AEST Tuesday, 12 October. Click 'like' if you can make it. 

78 REPLIES 78

Re: Topic Tuesday 13/10: The media and mental health

Good evening everyone,

@C8ie17 @PeppiPatty @Mazarita

Welcome @Jenni_H

Thanks so much for joining us. Last week was busy week in the media for mental health and I'm super keen to get some industry insights on how the media professionals and their thoughts on mental illness.

First off @Jenni_H, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I’m a journalist of print, online, television and radio for over 5 years. I have worked on anything from local papers in country Victoria to international news wires in Malaysia, most of my career has been as a journalist for the ABC, particularly in multimedia. I have personal experience with mental illness, as a carer of a family member living with mental illness. 

Any questions feel free to send them my way!

That's quite a fair bit of experience. Can I ask what you think a journalist’s role should be when it comes to  representing mental illness?

A journalist’s role depends on the media outlet they are reporting for. For example an entertainment journalist working for a magazine might focus on creating entertaining and gossip type content whereas a journalist working for a national current affairs program’s role will be to hold those in power accountable,  to inform serious debate and educate. Mostly journalists will strive to provide their audience with engaging content that is new to them. When it comes to mental illness is it no different. When a journalist approaches a story on mental illness they will consider what their audience already knows or might want to know about mental illness and how best to convey it to them. Ideally all journalists should seek to be responsible and provide multiple sources of information in a story about mental illness but due to time and medium constraints this is not always possible.

I have come across a lot of references online about the 'glamorisation of mental illness' recently. I was wondering whether this is something any of us can relate to in what we see in the media.

Interesting thought, what do you mean by glamorisation? 

Great questions @chookmojo! Did you think we saw any 'glamorisation of mental illness' last week? What is it, by the way?

@Jenni_H  It is common for people with Mi to view journalists as people who sensationalise stories about MH issues. What are your thoughts on this? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance