Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Your role in creating community for LGBTI people // 23 May

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

Your role in creating community for LGBTI people

May 17th marks IDAHOBIT - The International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersex, and Transphobia. So this month, we'll be talking about what you - as a community - can do to create safe places and support LGBTI people. We'll be joined by, special guest, Mindout (LGBTI mental health and suicide prevention).

Things you can do now:

1.) Register on the SANE Forums

2.) Click 'like' if you want to attend, and we'll send you a shout out on the night to remind you of the event. 

3.) Read our latest blog 'How to build a community that's safe for LGBTI people'

4.) Can't make the session? Leave your question below.

95 REPLIES 95

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your role in creating community for LGBTI people // 23 May

Bumping to the top 🙂

Hello everyone 🙂

Welcome to tonight's Topic Tuesday on 'Your role in creating community for LGBTI people', we're joined by our special guest, @Sally_Morris

And to those who RSVP'd,

@Lukas @catwomanau @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Aslaugh @MichelleZ @Eleven63 @Atropos 

Thank you so much for joining us tonight @Sally_Morris, I was thinking that it might be helpful if you could firstly outline for us what exactly LGBTI means and the differences? 

Absolutley!  

The initials ‘LGBTI’ to refer collectively to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex.

These are five distinct but sometimes overlapping groups, and there are many people and communities have additional ways of describing their distinct histories, experiences and identities beyond these five letters

Because of this you may see acronyms that include other letters, such as Q for Queer or Questioning, P for Pansexual, A for Asexual

Different people and groups may use different acronyms to be as inclusive as possible to the group of people they are working with, such as LGBTIQ, LGBTIQA

Hello @Shaz51, nice to have you join us tonight 🙂

'Evening all. Thought I'd look on this. Seeing as I am a member of the LGBTIQA community, I thought this would be of interest to both myself and my carer.

Thank you for that @Sally_Morris, you do see different terms used in our community so it is helpful to understand them in more detail. 

What does community mean for LGBTI people?

@Sally_Morris wrote:

Different people and groups may use different acronyms to be as inclusive as possible to the group of people they are working with, such as LGBTIQ, LGBTIQA

@Sally_Morris when you say inclusive, what do you mean by this? What is inclusive language?

Nice to see you here @Queenie

I think that the word 'community' means different things to different people - but essentailly 'Communiyt' can mean a group of people that have some things in common that connects them.  For LGBTI people this is their sexuality, gender, bodies and relationships that differ from what is usually accepted by our society.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance