Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

@Queenie,

yeah, it's a tough gig. all power to anyone who can manage their minds.

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

@Sandy1 lol 😄

How long did it take you from first getting symptoms and being diagnosed?

@MelbourneWoman7

Actually the voice I hear souind like people in the room talking to me. So they sound completely external. They are not the voice of an inner critic or conscience. That is why they are so compelling.

@Lauz Thanks Lauz 🙂 xx

Hi everyone. My father developed schizophrenia late in life (unusual, I know) and I learned too that it was not much help to deny the truth of what he was experiencing.. I tried distracting him with grounding techniques, and also just asking him questions about what he was experiencing... The thing is, I'm still not sure what- if anything- was helpful for him. Sandy or anyone else, do you have any insights into what the best way for carers to respond to people who are expreiencing delusions? 

@Sandy1 Sandy even with medication my son can hear voices particuarly when he is stressed. May I ask if you are on medication and yet still hear voices or not. I hope I am not being a nosey pea 🙂

@greenpea

Yeah it is really tricky when someone is so captured by delusions. And it is no use trying to argue with them about. I had afriend who steered me away from doing a stupid thing in response to a delusion which worked well.

Hi @HayleyC 

It's okay if you haven't had any experience with delusions yourself, tonight's event is all about learning and sharing our experiences of supporting a loved one who is struggling with schizophrenia. That would have been a hard time supporting your friend through this. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance