Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

We are very lucky to be joined by Sandy Jeffs for this Topic Tuesday. Sandy is an author and mental health advocate who lives with schizophrenia. We are lucky enough to have Sandy as a member of SANE's Peer Ambassador program.

For this Topic Tuesday Sandy will be sharing her own experiences to provide us with an insight into what it's like to live with schizophrenia. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

83 REPLIES 83

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

Hello and welcome everyone! @HayleyC @Shaz51 @KatCha @Rejoice66 @Puppy16 @agibson @davidpj @patientpatient @TashaG @Queenie @Grasshopper3

For tonights Topic Tuesday we have special guest @Sandy1 with us who will be sharing her own experiences to provide us with an insight into what it's like to live with schizophrenia. 

We are very lucky to have her with us tonight for this discussion, so without further ado I will pass over to @Sandy1 to start things off Smiley Happy

Re: Topic Tuesday // What it's really like to live with schizophrenia // Tues 22 May, 7pm AEDT

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for coming online for the forum. It’s pleasure to be part of it. I have to confess that I am a computer dummie so if a glitch occurs or something untoward happens it is probably because I have pressed a wrong key or done something I am unaware of. So, I apologise now for my mistakes. I hope things go seamlessly. I need to say also that am not a mental health expert or a paragon of recovery. I am just someone who has had a long life with schizophrenia and I am sharing my thought s with you.

The inner experience of psychosis.
Internally psychosis is a disconnect from reality. To be captured by delusions and voices is the most surreal and yet visceral experience. It is total reality yet it is total unreality. There is no way a delusion can be argued away with an appeal to logic. Delusions are so real they are incontestable. They are as real as saying the sun will rise tomorrow. Psychosis is a loss of reason that takes you away from your friends and isolates you from the world. You become unreaching and unreachable. Internally it is soul murder. It is like being in a bell jar and people around are trying to break the glass to reach you but it is unbreakable. The very core of who you are is ripped away like a piece of Velcro. But all hope hasn’t been lost. When I was first diagnosed way back in 1976 it was a death-sentence and I was told by doctors that with each episode I had, I would go further in to madness and from which I’ d never recover. Recovery wasn’t even mentioned back then. Thankfully that didn’t happen but I do struggle with my voices and delusions every day. I find myself reality checking the things I think and do. It is a full time occupation to keep myself sane.

Thanks @Sandy1 for sharing, it's interesting to hear your experiences with delusions. What has everyone's experience with their loved ones and managing their delusions been like?

Hello @Sandy1, @Lauz Smiley Happy

Thank you @Sandy1 for your insightful and upfront look into schizophrenia as you experience it daily. 

Until I had my first manic episode (and was as a result changed to schizoaffective disorder), I too was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm following along tonight with much interest with my wife, as I'm sure a lot of what you say is still relevant (and it certainly rings true so far with regards to delusionary thinking and voice hearing) to my particular life.

Hi @Shaz51! Good to have you here Smiley Happy

I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective and schziophrenia by different doctors. I am wondering are these voices external? Cause i only get the voices inside my head. A man changed his behaviour with me in my previous job and i was told by doctors i was unwell cause i thought he either loved me or was bullying me

Hi everyone,

I haven't previously had any experience with delusions or hallucinations myself, but have had a few friends over the years who have experienced this. One of my friends was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and it was quite complex at times to help him when he would not trust you. 

@Sandy1 Hi Sandy1 what you say is so right about delusions. I have a son with schizophrenia and I cannot shake (nor do I try after a bitter episode) his delusions.  Thanks you for coming tonight.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance