Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // What gets you stressed over Christmas? // 20 Dec. 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

Besides the usual stress of what presents to buy Uncle Pete and third cousin Kelly, those of us who have a loved one with a mental illness have the added worry of the wellbeing of our loved throughout the Christmas period.

What do I do if they have an episode during Christmas?

What do I tell family if he doesn't want to go to the Christmas gathering anymore?

How can I ensure she maintains her routine among all of the disruption that Christmas brings?

Tonight we will be looking at some options to try to reduce your worries and allow you to relax (maybe!) and to get the most out of your own Christmas festivities.

So please feel free to share some of your own tips or share your concerns about the Christmas period and lets help each other out!

A big welcome to @Former-Member @Former-Member @Marty69@Kennedee @PeppiPatty @DollFace @Ray1 @Trailrider43 @probelogic @Shaz51 @FluxAeon01 @Hans

63 REPLIES 63

Re: Topic Tuesday // What gets you stressed over Christmas? // 20 Dec. 7pm AEDT

Christmas was always a stressful Time, getting enough Money to please Wife as my Life was a continuous Struggle and there was never any Consideration how much I could earn! I don't want to think about it, my Lifetime Gratitude to big Pharma without you I wouldn't be alive to tell the Tale! 

Re: Topic Tuesday // What gets you stressed over Christmas? // LIVE NOW

Hello @NikNik

My biggest stress is the uncertainity over the christmas period

@Hans it sounds like from what you have said, you have come through the other side. Is the Christmas period a bit better now?

@Shaz51 Hi!! Great to see you here 🙂
Do you and your husband have an open discussion about the uncertainty?

I agree @Shaz51 - so much uncertainty.
Even non-mental health related stuff, like financial stuff...

Hi @NikNik

your husband have an open discussion about the uncertainty? -- no, we don`t

Well perhaps a good starting point for us is to list our concerns and go from there - would that be helpful @Shaz51 @coffeegirl ?

For me the main concerns are:

1) Not having a usual routine (no work means no set time to get up, go to bed, eat - all things that keep us on track)

2) Normal support people (case worker and psychologist) are on leave

3) Financial (shift work means that one pay might be high and the next one low) this one is an ongoing one we deal with no matter what time of year it is!

I am most stressed as I am meeting my partners family for the first time, including going away camping. I don't leave home often or go far from. I feel most comfortable here. In control. I'm worried my BPD will play up being surrounded by so many new people that I feel the need to impress. TIA ✌🏼

Wow @DollFace - congratulations - meeting the family is lovely! I think all of us are stressed meeting a partners family for the first time, regardless of any mental health stuff going on. It's great that you're thinking ahead though.

You seem pretty self aware - do you notice any signs when the BPD is 'playing up'?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance