Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

I don't know if it's what you mean @Daisydreamer but at the moment I'm working in finding stuff for grounding. Apparently strong input can be good. So I have some oils and a ring massage thing. I have troubles with dissociation so it's meant to help me with that. Only new though

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

i feel that the mental health system is producing more trauma than they are helping most peoples to heal. i  really hope we can see a lived experience run and led respite in victoria one day, that is flexible and has safe places to go, for those who need to be in a self contained space for safety reasons, that has self contained units as well. also i wanna see CCTV put in all public areas of mental health institutions because this would stop a lot of abuse from taking place if perpetrators know they are being recorded. 

I feel for you @BlueBay  similar things for me. When the police told my parents about my sexual assault and asked if they wanted anything done about it, my mother told me it was my own fault - I was a young teenager. Later, after marriage when I told her about the DV, she said 'at least you didn't have ....." Lots of other things, I've not had contact for years. 

I'm so sorry.

@Cathyblueknot, your recent point about rebuilding and reforming trust in relationships is an important one. Speaking with peers who have been through something similar and can understand is something that we hear is helpful for members of our community.

But, there have been a few questions put forward by our community about finding and building that trust with mental health professionals and services.

Question 3: Some members have mentioned feeling further traumatised by services in the mental health system. What are some of the ways we can tell if a service is trauma informed? What are some of the evidence-based approaches to recovery from trauma?

@Cathyblueknotsaid:

Many people who have experienced trauma feel that people and the world are not safe because that has been their experience. Many are isolated and withdrawn but just as we are harmed in relationships in which we are hurt we can also heal in relationships of care, support and nurture. It is about learning to trust and connecting with people, and often initially one person – friend, family or professional with whom you feel safe. This can help to change your internal beliefs that the world is dangerous and support a healing journey.

Unfortunately repeated trauma reinforeced the world not being safe (from childhood) - I was physically assaulted at work (just a few years ago).

Also subjected to prolonged harrassment & bullying at 2 different workplaces.

This makes positive beliefs in people & recovery so much more difficult.

Adge

Question 3: Some members have mentioned feeling further traumatised by services in the mental health system. What are some of the ways we can tell if a service is trauma informed? What are some of the evidence-based approaches to recovery from trauma?

People who have experienced trauma often experience trauma which is inadvertently triggered by others including services. A trauma-informed service is one which exists for the people seeking service rather than for the service itself. It is one which holds each person at the centre of the service, shows respect for each person, in the context of their lived experience, and attuning to their diverse background and culture.

It is about being attentive to what a person needs to feel and be emotionally and environmentally safe. It is open and works to build trust with each person, through fair and equitable service and transparent clear communication. It is a service which provides each person with as many choices as possible, upholds confidentiality and privacy and supports healthy boundaries. It shares power and truly collaborates with each person to support their process of recovery, building self-determination and autonomy.

Services which are trauma-informed acknowledge the sensitivities of people with trauma experiences and this informs not only what they do but the way they do it.

It can be hard for people with trauma experiences to seek help because of prior negative experiences with services or because of the inappropriate shame many survivors take on, as well as the stigma around talking about trauma. It is important to know that there are services which can help. It might not be the first service you approach.

To read more see https://www.blueknot.org.au/Resources/Publications/Practice-Guidelines/Organisational-Guidelines  

I can already see we have had a few posts about this question too Heart @Last-Lament, @destructive @BlueBay

yes i agree i think covid times have made many of us hermits its really unhealthy  to be isolated and we need to continuously fight against the isolation creeping in more and more cos if we don't challenge it it just takes over our lives and we become more unwell  for me i try to challenge it on a daily basis. but its hard when i was forced to go to a remote area due to covid cos I'm at high risk of dying

Understandable @Adge Heart

Sending lots of support to everyone HeartHeartHeart We'll be talking about recovery and support next 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance