Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

@Former-Member, @Daisydreamer@Cathyblueknot 

to make my story short is that i was mentally, emotionally abused by my father when young 

mum and I left when i was soo sick 

but kept getting rejected by my dad as he lived in the same town 

it was not until 14 years ago when he passed away that i was free 

but then i inherited the house 

and then in november we had the house fire -- soo very mixed feelings 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

what about when you have a constant reminder of the trauma? no forgetting it. how on earth do you move on from that?

Great question @Last-Lament . I'd earlier posted a similar one myself; how can we make sure that services properly focus on imminant and/or currant problems, and not get overly distracted by trauma problems relating to the past?

Question 6: What services are available through Blue Knot? And what other services might be helpful?

Blue Knot provides a number of Helpline Services

If you have experienced childhood trauma, you can speak with a Blue Knot Helpline trauma counsellor including for support and applications around national redress

1300 657 380
Monday - Sunday
between 9am - 5pm AEDT
or via email helpline@blueknot.org.au

Do you live with disability?  Have you experienced abuse, neglect, violence or exploitation? For support for Disability Royal Commission or general support contact our National Counselling & Referral Service

1800 421 468
9am - 6pm AEDT Mon- Fri
9am - 5pm AEDT Sat, Sun & public holidays

Blue Knot website www.blueknot.org.au has a lot of resources including fact sheets, videos, information, publications including Practice Guidelines

https://www.blueknot.org.au/Resources/Fact-Sheets

https://www.blueknot.org.au/resources/videos

https://www.blueknot.org.au/resources/Publications/Practice-Guidelines

Blue Knot also delivers workshops for survivors and family and friends, as well as extensive training and service options for practitioners, diverse personnel across sectors

https://www.blueknot.org.au/Training-Services

how do people really get better, or is it more just acceptance that you will always be different and always have to find ways to manage/cope with everything you're left with?

@Former-Membersaid: I wonder how anyone else has managed to live fulfilling lives after trauma, if you've gotten there?

I have done a huge amount of personal growth, & have increased my self-awareness immensely.

Yet life is not fulfilling.

I've not managed to build new friendships & supportive networks, since my marriaged ended 10 years ago.

I am by nature Social - yet am extremely socially isolated.

By worsening circumstances, never by choice.

Adge

@chibam  Yes, and even more so when the person is PART of those support services with access to ALL your records and information. 

Question 5: How do you start to live your life beyond trauma? And how can we manage the ongoing impact of trauma if it comes up again in future?

I dont know how to even try and answer this question..... from personal experience early childhood trauma has made me weaker to handle the trauma I experienced for 6 years with son2. It is never ending.

Yes.  That is a really good question.  From a carer's point of view I have become so anxious because I could say ir do something innocently and out of the blue I get sudden attack of anger directed at me and I feel it must have been a trigger for him but he accuses me of trying to cut him down etc and it's hurtful.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance