Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone after a suicide attempt // 28 Nov. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Hi @suzanne,

In June this year, I found a student of mine attempting suicide and had to stop her 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone after a suicide attempt // 28 Nov. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Hello I'm a carer of my daughter who has made 3 suicide attempts since september

Hi Nell - thanks for posting information about your experience of caring. What was the impact of caring for your student, do you think people acknoledge the caring role that non-family members often have to take? Both in crisis and longer term? Thanks, Sarah

Moved:

Hi, I'm only new to this forum and It's my 1st post. Our 17 y.o. attempted suicide last Thursday. I found him and my husband and other son took him down, It is still very raw for all of us. My husband and eldest son had a chance to debrief with the neighbours after I left in the ambulance; but I felt very lonely and lost when we got to the hospital because my son had to undertake x-rays and scans . During this time a kind lady ( the receptionist I think) offered me a cup of tea and a blanket but I didn't have a chance to debrief till much later with the mental health nurse...Everything has been ablur since then...

Welcome @Former-Member, that must have been incredibly distressing.  What has that been like for you to deal with?

Hi Ann. Thanks so much for sharing your story. What do you think the impact of multiple attempts has been on you? Do you find that service providers understand your needs, outside of your daughters needs? Sarah

Hello @UNE, @suzanne 

The first time my Husband did it was before I met him , which i hear was very very hard for his children , family and he was divorced from his first wife

I am his second wife and we have been married 10 years now , never forget the first time when he storm out of the house and weht to the shed , I went up a few minutes later and he had the method ready -- I think the shock of the look on my face changed his mind

Hello @Ann6, welcome to the discussion.  It must be a very painful topic for you but we're really pleased that you've joined us.

and the lastest one was in august 2015 @suzanne, @UNE, but at that minute he got in the car and left , I rang to the garage and found a note that he was going to the hospital 30 kms away

Thanks Shaz. I can imagine the shock you might have experienced. One of the aspects we are trying to uncover is what people who provide care, define that care to be. In health promotion material for carers we often talk about making sure people have adequate systems in place – but what does adequate mean to you? What do you need to look after yourself while you look after your husband? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance