Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Self Esteem & Mental Health // Tues 13th Aug, 7pm-9pm AEST

Me too @Adge  I’m not a swimmer at all. I love the water but can’t swim. 

Alright all @BlueBay  @Adge @Snowie @HappySmiley @Queenie 

Moving onto Question 2 😄

Many of us are incredibly resilient people who have overcome very complex trauma’s in our lives. We are not born already able to accurately assess the world and ourselves. Self-reflection is something a child starts developing as they become self-aware and develop a stronger sense of self. 💕

In order for a child to develop a healthy and accurate self-esteem, they need mirroring, attunement, and validation from the caregiver. For those of us who have to develop these skills ourselves, it can be challenging at times to keep our self esteem tank on “full”.

What are some ways in which we can uphold our self-esteem and self-worth when environmental factors (i.e. flashbacks, challenging family members, relationship struggles) are emerging? 

I wish I knew @nashy 

Wow, that's a tough question @nashy I'm thinking....

I cannot say that I'm very successful at it.

Adge

I read and articulate on self esteem and the hippocampus. I was trying to find out if I could trust my intuition today, if it was still operating from childhood trauma. It’s something I’m still looking into, but wonder if it has any relevance to the topic tonight.

I usually need to connect with someone.

That's very difficult, when there are no people (face-to-face) regularly available to connect with.

Adge

@nashy  I don’t know 

it makes me very angry when I wasn’t nurtured and loved or shown anything 

i had no self esteem from my childhood and I still don’t 

Hello  @nashy 

I was emotionally and mentally abused when young by my father  and even though mum and I left , my father kept rejecting me until he passed away and this has and still does affect my self esteem 

It is a hard one. Obviously transforming our self concept is imperative Heart @Snowie @Adge  This takes time and is no easy feat alongside mental health challenges  - but is absolutely doable. I find for me when there's external stuff chipping away at my being, reminding myself it's their (the other person's) stuff. Bringing myself back to my inner world, safe within me. Self affirmations can help too for some..

i.e.

“My courage is stronger than my fear”

“I am in control”

“I trust my ability to make the right decisions for me”

Just lurking at the moment. Always doubting myself and don't trust my own thoughts and intentions so can't trust others

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance