Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Self Esteem & Mental Health // Tues 13th Aug, 7pm-9pm AEST

@Adge I liked the reflection "on a meaningful level". You're right when we don't have deep and valuable connections with others we can feel a bit out of sorts within our own perception of ourselves. Do you find the biggest challenge for you with this is the size of the community you live in? I am really glad you brought this up as it is something I hadn't considered living in a bigger city.

@nashy 

My childhood abuse ripped my self esteem apart to pieces 

my negative mother always putting me down 

school teachers putting me down 

swimming teacher pushing my head under water becayse I was too scared to swim 

😢😢

Heya @Snowie thanks heaps for sharing. What do you think is the root cause of some of those feelings? Are there societal contributors or something closer to home? Know we're all sitting with you here in the community Heart 

Welcome @HappySmiley 🙂 Thanks heaps for joining in. You find being alone with yourself a part of the struggle in low self-esteem? I think heaps of people resonate with this one. Even people who are seemingly fairly confident on the surface. Thank you for being honest & sharing with us Heart

My trauma throughout my life is a cause for my low self esteem. The loneliness is something I have brought upon myself. 

@nashy 

Yes @nashy Even though living close to neighbours - the neighbours don't talk to each other, except to demand something, or to throw rubbish over the fence.

I did make friends with my back neighbour, over our fallen dividing fence (when talking to have it replaced).

We have been inviting each other over, ever 6 weeks or so, for the past 18 months (reciprocal invites).

Adge

Hey there @Snowie yeah trauma is definitely a huge force with low self worth. I think it's important to acknowledge that, and to acknowledge this is external to us and not a reflection of our worth - even though it takes a long while to work through. Sometimes too, pulling away and spending time alone is just us protecting ourselves. Thanks so much for sharing, we all hear you Heart

I had to be rescued from near-drowning at least 3 times (when young) @BlueBay

I never liked swimming, after that. I never recovered my confidence in water, & am essentially a non-swimmer.

Adge

This is good to hear, sounds like there's a nice mutual connection slowly building there with the back neighbour 🙂 @Adge Not so fun regarding the other neighbours! Thank you for sharing this.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance