Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

Whether achieving and maintaining mental health is more challenging for men is a question with many different aspects and angles to explore.  We are fortunate to be joined by Glen who is an experienced Counsellor with MensLine and someone with a strong commitment to mens mental health.  He and @suzanne will be exploring this topic and responding to your questions and concerns.

So whether your interest or concern relates to your own mental health or that of someone else in your life, please join us for this discussion.

To get a reminder about this event, hit the 'Like' button below.

129 REPLIES 129

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

Welcome everyone to tonights Topic Tuesday.  We're talking about mens mental health and are discussing whether it might be more challenging for men to stay psychologically well.  But in reality we're happy to field any and all questions about mens mental health tonight so please join us over the next two hours.

We're incredibly fortunate to be joined by Glen Benton who is a Team Leader for On The Line. His work centres around giving ongoing guidance, training and support to a team of counsellors who practice across counselling services such as MensLine Australia and The Suicide Call Back Service. Glen is a counsellor with ten years of experience in working with men's and family counselling, youth counselling and philosophical/existential counselling. Glen holds a particular interest in men's psychology and mental health and is currently writing a book focused on this subject.

I'd like to welcome @Adge, @depression101, @Ricardorider, @BusterFedez, @Dogman, @Gypsy1, @Billamba, @oceangirl, @Shaz51, @Quilly, @Former-Member, @chippie, @snickers, @ausurfer, @Kurra, @Former-Member, @soul and @Appleblossom to the discussion.

To start us off, I'd like to ask Glen the very broad question we're fielding tonight:  Is mental health more challenging for men?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is mental health more challenging for men? // 20 June, 7pm AEST

Hello @suzanne xx

Hi @Shaz51, I thought you might join us 🙂  What's your point of view on this question?

Hi @suzanne I'm still trying to work out how these real-time discussions work. This is the first one that I've been invited to (or tried to participate in) here.

Is mental health more challenging for men?-- yes it is @suzanne 

I have asked Mr shaz who has had MI all his life  what he thought about the question and he said yes because he feels men provide for his family

Hi, I’m Glen Benton. I’m a Counsellor and Team Leader for the 24/7 counselling service MensLine Australia. It’s great to have the opportunity to speak on this thought provoking topic, and as a person who’s passionate about men’s psychology and mental health I’m really looking forward to hearing from the wider community about their thoughts and questions too. My overarching comment on this topic would be…I’ve seen that mental health unrest can be real hard for men to deal with, as can it be for women. It can be tough whoever you are, mental health issues can be hard no matter your gender, age, culture...we all have a need to be well. With that in mind it’s important that we open up some of these possibly complex questions so we can speak about them as a community. But what I will start with is that it can simply be hard in general. The challenges may vary for men and women...perhaps...but they exist for anyone who is suffering in their mental health. I’m looking forward to speaking with you all about this tonight.

Welcome @Adge.  It's great that you joined us.  The key to following this discussion will be in refreshing your screen as the new replies don't automatically show.  Do you have a particular interest in this topic?

I would say tentatively yes, at least from my own experience of social isolation & difficulty in establishing supportive social networks. However, I'm not wanting to offend anyone in my attempting to be honest.

Is mental health more challenging for men?
I would say no, but there are some challenges women don't face and stuff that differ between genders.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance