Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

For sure @Former-Member - I liked how you framed it as it being a plan that 'steps through things the person can do themselves first and then gradually brings in support people to help the person'

Broadly speaking, a safety plan is typically a resource to help someone identify when they may not be travelling well and provide them with pre-determined practical strategies and contacts to help get them through their current suicidal ideation / distress.

The plan is most effective when it’s been created in advance and draws on a person’s own experience of strategies and contacts that have helped in the past.

It could be created in consultation with a loved one, a mental health professional or a telephone crisis service.

What about others - any other points to add to @Former-Member or I's definitions? 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

A safety plan is when the person is in a crisis and they cannot voice their wishes.

I guess the more pressing question that people want to know more about is what is in a safety plan.

There are a few temaples, but a lot follow this, which is from SuicideLine:

1. Information about when to use the plan. List the kinds of situations, thoughts, feelings or other warning signs that may lead to you feeling suicidal. 

2. A list of things that you can do that help you feel calm and comforted. Think of soothing, calming activities that you can employ when you’re feeling suicidal. 

3. A list of all your reasons for living. It can be helpful to refer to this list when you’re feeling suicidal, as you can lose focus on the positive aspects of your life and concentrate only on the pain you’re experiencing. Your list can remind you of these positives you may have forgotten. 

4. People you can talk to when you’re feeling suicidal. Include their names and contact details, and make sure you have back ups. 

5. Professionals who you can talk to if you need to, again including their names and up-to-date contact details. 

6. A plan of how you can make your environment safe. Think about items you might be likely to use to hurt yourself, and detail how you can remove or secure them. Your plan may also include avoiding things you know make you feel worse.

7. Emergency contact details that you can use if you are still feeling unsafe. List the name and address of your nearest emergency department or crisis helpline. 

8. Make a commitment to your safety plan. This means promising yourself that you will implement your plan if you need to. The commitment could also involve promising (out loud) to a family member, friend or professional that you will follow your plan. 

Beyondblue have a helpful video aimed at the individual who is looking to create the safety plans 

Has anyone had experience with a safety plan before (for you or for a loved one)? What did it contain (you don’t have to be specific, but high level categories if you’re comfortable with that), was it helpful?

I like that, because the carer and the person with a mental health issue will be very stressed, so they won't be thinking clearly - so yes create in advance.

I think that a safety plan should start with identifiable patterns or indicators that someone in this situation can recognise before a crisis point is reached.

@NikNik A safety plan is too for being overwelmed, exhausted , heading for a breakdown , things to do before things get worse and end up in hospital

Welcome @KF1969
That is definitely a type of safety plan. Just to clarify, do you mean a plan / agreement with someone on what to do if they become unwell?

I like that, because the carer and the person with a mental health issue will be very stressed, so they won't be thinking clearly - so yes create in advance. -- I agree @KF1969 and have it handy as well

I did not have one 2 years ago went everything went wrong

I never done one. o i would really like to learn about them.

both really.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance