Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@Zoe7

Thank you 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

Thanks for the intro. I’m looking forward to the discussion, as I find this time of year particularly difficult and I’m keen to not be miserable if I can!

Alright all! Let's get stuck into the first question 🙂

The festive season is considered to be a time of joy and connection, but for many it’s the most difficult time of year. Those navigating the symptoms of mental illness can find this period incredibly taxing.

simpsons gif.gif

Often things like family tensions, isolation and money worries can create a variety of challenges to our overall wellbeing throughout Christmas and New Years. When we’re in survival mode with our own mental health, the pressure to attend parties and catch up with family and friends can be anxiety provoking.

With this in mind, what are some of the major challenges you find in maintaining positive mental wellbeing during the festive season?

@nashy@Robert_Lifeline

For me it’s financial stress. and hsving to be “sociable” at functions. Also fsmily lack of  

I find the sense of isolation & extreme loneliness make me absolutely miserable this time of year. Even if I attend a family gathering or my friend’s house, somehow this season of ‘togetherness’ makes me feel all the more alone and deeply despondent. 

@nashy

This is certainly something to reflect upon and perhaps even prepare for leading into the festive season. Everyone gets triggered at this time of the year so those of us with mental health challenges need to be particularly mindful I think, in terms of self-caring

Just some initial thoughts:

We all have triggers. Some triggers are small and set in motion an emotional reaction that we can manage easily within ourselves. Some triggers are bigger and provoke emotions and stress that can overflow into words and actions we may not have intended to express and engage in. How can we be cognisant of our triggers, and, most importantly, manage our feelings when we are triggered so that we can speak and act in ways that align with our values and with who we truly see ourselves as or the person we aspire to be (our ‘best’ selves)?

And being so emotional all the time @nashy@Robert_Lifeline

I find it hard to connect having a long family history. 

@Robert_Lifeline, @nashy

My husband who has MI has answered this question with " to try not make the day too big "

also "to not have too many social family get togethers ", ammm one is enough "

Yes having to be sociable definitely is a trying experience @BlueBay Heart

Welcome @Dave1977 and thanks for sharing this.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance