Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday//How can I be mindful when I have a mindFULL//Tues. 20 March. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

This Topic Tuesday will investigate what mindfulness is, the obstacles we can face when trying to utilise it as a coping strategy and how we can possibly reframe our thinking of it!

Hit the 'Like' button below to get an email reminder on the night.

161 REPLIES 161

Re: Topic Tuesday//How can I be mindful when I have a mindFULL//Tues. 20 March. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Love this topic, but will not be home til late tomorrow. Will try and catch the end of it.

Re: Topic Tuesday//How can I be mindful when I have a mindFULL//Tues. 20 March. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Welcome everyone! @Tessarightpaw @Former-Member @Nais @NameUnknown @soul @Lulu2 @Pepsimax @Adge @Determined @Former-Member @sjp @Former-Member @Snowie @Teej @outlander @frog @Queenie @Former-Member @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Chris @CheerBear @Mizzle @BlueBay @Ellsworthkelly @Sheschemicaland anyone else that comes along to join us tonight!

Onto tonight’s topic! Being mindful with a full mind….

Mind Full or Mind ful image.jpg

It is a hard concept to grasp and I completely respect that. And you know what? Mindfulness may not be for everyone. And that’s okay! Tonight, will be about being open to all perspectives and finding ways we can renegotiate the idea of mindfulness so that those of us struggling with a lot of thoughts, at a lot of times can get some benefit from this coping strategy.

First point:  Identifying what mindfulness is?

Okay so here are your good old dictionary style definitions as well as SANE’s very own definition below:

UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center defines mindful awareness as “paying attention to present moment experiences with openness, curiosity, and a willingness to be with what is . . . It invites us to stop, breathe, observe, and connect with one's inner experience.”  

SANE Australia notes that: "Mindfulness is a mental and physical technique you can use to focus your awareness on the present moment. Being in the moment helps you acknowledge, accept and cope with painful or intrusive thoughts, feelings and sensations."

I am interested to hear from you all – what do YOU think mindfulness is? What thoughts and ideas come to mind when hearing the word mindfulness?

Paying attention to your surroundings and to the five senses (touch, smell, sound, sight, taste). Being present in the moment rather than in the past or future.

Hi @Lauz,

I really like both those definitions of mindfulness. I think the key point is that it's about being fully present in the moment. We've talked a LOT about mindfulness here and here in Forum Land - how's that for shameless advertising! Smiley LOL 

I am a BIG fan of mindfulness. It is the most important tool I have in my toolkit for managing my super gigantic emotions. Smiley Happy

Hello @Lauz 

Hellos also to  @Tessarightpaw @Kirin @Nais @flowerpetals @soul @Lulu2 @Pepsimax @Adge @Determined @sjp @lisajane @Snowie @Teej @outlander @frog @Queenie @5-HT  @mohill @Shaz51 @Chris @CheerBear @Mizzle @BlueBay @Ellsworthkelly @Sheschemical and anyone else who pops by.

Really interested in this tonight. 

Hi @Lauz
When I hear the word mindfulness I think that is exactly what my mind feels like, full all the time

Hi @Shaz51, @Former-Member!

@Jaz4 - great way of describing mindfulness, I particularly like the focus on the five senses!

@Phoenix_Rising love the advertising! I am glad its being spoken about and more so that you have found it to be so helpful as a tool!

Mindfulness to me is being attentive, present in the task I am doing at that time. Doing it to the best of my ability, not taking shortcuts I know I will think less of myself for doing. 

Paying attention to that moment and my place in it. 
I would not have survived without practicing this. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance