Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

They have some great resources! -- I agree @KS2809, @JonCarer

Hello @Kesa, are you around tonight xx

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

It might help to try talk about what help your daughter might like to get from you, with the psychiatrist perhaps as a way to start that engagement, but sometimes it can be a matter of patience, until a person is ready to recieve your help, as unsatisfactory and frustrating as that can be.

@JonCarer I agree but when I shared a note where my daughter said she wanted to die and how her psycologist was worried that I was breaching trust! ummmm I thought it was serious, the psycologist said it was just emotional disregulation...

But yes my daughter needs autonomy... but her psycologist also needs to know that she can be very manipulative..

NB - I did mean with your daughter AND the psychiatrist at your upcoming meeting.

thank you @JonCarer

It is very difficult when you are concerned about risks like that, because confidentiality is very important, but not as important as the person remaining physically alive!

But I would have thought that you had done the right thing by disclosing if you thought there was a real risk of harm, and that the psych didn't think there was a real risk, they should have considered whether there was emotional manipulation being attempted and given you some advice about that.

My daughter is also a master manipulator. Any psychologist or psychiatrist worth the money will see through it quickly. My daughter will only tell people what she wants them to know, until she feels comfortble. As her previous psychologist said "she does great work once she's developed a raport with the therapist, on her terms"

@NikNik

Can I also direct participants to The Australian Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and National Standards for Mental Health Services which public hospitals subscribe to which have the responsibilites in communicating with carers clearly set out.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjY5vjT0...

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFiL6L0...

Good resources! We also have a bit of an overview of carer rights under the NSW Mental Health Act and the designated carer and principle care provider forms on a page of the MHCN website here:

http://www.arafmi.org/carer-rights/

Well we have about 15 mins left - so feel free to ask questions, share your own tips and/or your experiences!

Are there any big ticket items you wanted to cover @JonCarer that we haven't touched on yet?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance