Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

all my step chidren have Inherited Depression and anxiety , SAD

my S3 has ADHD , and he self medicates , and forgets to take his medication

My S2 takes meds for depression and anxiety and adhd

My S1 use work to keep going and going

My D1 to going alone , expect for support from us

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

Welcome @JonCarer !

Can you start by telling us a bit about the legal stuff - 

At what age does parent gaurdianship finish - and at that point, what choices do young people have in their parents involvement?

Wow you are supporting a lot of people!

I hope you feel supported and included in helping them if they have interactions with health services.

@Shaz51 I have trouble caring for 1 !!!

I ended up having a breakdown of sorts last weekend with just having to deal with DD and work problems...

Under the NSW Mental Health Act, parents are automatically Designated carers until the age of 16 and then the young person starts to get choices.

The role of Principle Care Provider is one which can be recognised by the treating team if somone is providing support in the community and the consumer (young person) doesn't want to or is too unwell to nominate them, but parents are in a lucky position in this regard.

Because of being the Designated Carer automatically

@JonCarer - what types of choices do 16+ get? Is it about how involved their parents are with their treatment? 

DD can be very challenging due to the 'no wrong door' approach that is meant to be taken, sometimes effectively becoming the revolving door to no-where.

Some mental health services embrace the need to deal with substance issues and mental health problems at the same time, to prevent sobriety causing relapse of symtoms and then relapse of substance use. It is very helpful to try to find a service that makes such efforts as the mental and AoD problems are all going on in the same head!

@JonCarer or @YTT - can you clarify what DD stands for?

Specifically after 16 they should be consulted about who they want to have recognised as 'Designated carer' under the Mental Health Act. Designated carers (or principle care providers if the treating team recognises you) have rights to certain information under the Act, especially around medication etc., and should be consulted for care and discharge planning purposes (s79).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance