Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

One other point to be note, carers have some strong rights under the Act, such as to always to be able to provide information to doctors assessing mental health for example (s72A), with or without permission from the person they are supporting.

However, simply ignoring someones wishes, especially if this is not done with any subtelty can be very disempowering and in fact traumatising, especlially if a person has lost a lot of control through involuntary treatment. Trauma causes or worsens mental illness in many cases, and so can hamper recovery.

So, even when you 'have the right' remember always to use those rights respectfully and compasionately and in a way that does not emphasive the powerlessness of the person you are trying to support. (Easier said than done in practise!) 

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

thank you for your input @JonCarer  it's appreciated from a carers point of view

I've taken to emailing my daughters psychiatrist when there's something that I feel he really needs to know about. He rarely replies but I know that he reads them and will often bring the topic/issue up with my daughter next time he sees her. I've let all of her team know that they can get in touch with me at any time with any questions or issues they feel I need to know about. Rarely happens but at least I know they know I'm interested and willing to support them.

Hi everyone, so sorry I'm late. I just wanted to share my experiences with my sons. My youngest son (not my step son) died when he was 18 years old. When he was nearly 17 he started abusing drugs and we went through as many treatments and consultants as we possibly could, we did so much for him to the point where, as guilty as I feel, my older sons mental health was compromised. When he turned 18 it become that much more difficult because we no longer had as much control over his treatment, even though for much of the time he was incapable of seeking help himself. It became very complex and this when the wheels fell off.

Well it's time to wrap up!

Thank you @JonCarer for all of your insights and information! There's a lot there for people to follow up with!

Thank you to all those who got involved tonight.

Take care.

thankyou_gif.gif

@KS2809 I've emailed my daughter psycologist and this is when she has said she worries about breaking  privacy and that she can't bring up what I've emailed with my daughter without breaching trust.

I don't email anymore...

I enjoyed it a lot and thank you NikNik and Sane and all the carers for all your questions! I hope you found some of my posts helpful!

@lovemyboys that would have been a super hard situation to go through. How are things going for you all now?

Thank you for a very interesting night @JonCarer, @NikNik Smiley Very Happy

Hello @KS2809, @YTT, @lovemyboys , come and join us at the Hot Chocolate Anyone , just click on the link and come and meet some awesome friends and carers

Also @YTT, if you have other questions , ask away , because you are not alone my friend xx

@Shaz51

thank you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance