Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

This month we welcome Mental Health Carers NSW to share some information and tips on the changes that take place once a loved one turns 18.

When a loved one turns 18, dynamics can shift. This can be due to many things, including -

• A loved one moving out of the family home
  • Guardianship responsibilities change
  • Reduction in access to confidential and private information related to treatment

In this Topic Tuesday we will look at what rights you have (and don't have) and how you can continue to have a positive relationship with your loved one once they turn 18.

Join us from 7pm AEST to learn more and share your own experiences. 

Hit the 'Like' button below to get an email reminder on the night.

71 REPLIES 71

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

Hello @lovemyboys, this topic is for next tuesday , I will tag you if you like or you can like the topic and @NikNik will send a reminder Smiley Happy

Re: Topic Tuesday // How being a carer changes once your loved one turns 18 // 26 Sep, 7pm AEST

Thank you @Shaz51 a very interesting one for me

I’ve hit like but the number didn’t change so I’m not sure if it registered? My daughter turned 19 in March. The difference between adolescent mental health and adult mental health is huge for the carer.

Hi @KS2809,

First of all Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Very Happy Our Community Manager, @NikNik, should be able to answer the question as to whether you are on the list to receive an email reminder for tomorrow's Topic Tuesday. If not, you can login to the forums and access this link at 7pm AEST tomorrow to join in on the discussion.

You are right in that the difference between being a carer for an adolescent compared to an adult is huge. For this reason, it is great that you have expressed you interest in being a part of tomorrow's discussion, so that you may educate yourself around this relatively new dynamic for you.

I hope tomorrows discussion is helpful to you! Smiley Happy

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

see you tomorrow night @KS2809, @lovemyboys, @NikNik, @Amour_Et_Psyché xx

I'm not sure I will make it, maybe the second half

That`s ok @lovemyboys, join in anytime you can , and you can read all the earlier comments at your time Smiley Very Happy

and @lovemyboys, if you have a question , you can place it here anytime

A big hello and welcome to tonight's Topic Tuesday!

Hi @YTT @Teej @Razza1 @Rado @MumCal @Shaz51 @Debswebz @Former-Member @sash @Former-Member @KS2809 & welcome!

Tonight we will be discussing how your relationship as a carer could change once your loved one turns 18! We will be getting advice from our friends from Mental Health Carers NSW (thank you!) and we welcome your own experiences too.

So as a starting point, I'd love to hear a bit about what brings you to tonight's session.

Please hold off on specific questions at this point, we will do a call out towards the end of the session, if that's okay!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance