Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Helping a loved one who doesn't want help // Tues 26 June, 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

We asked members what they would like to talk about for the next Topic Tuesday and here it is! Helping a loved one that doesn't want help. We will be talking about how to become better informed, managing frustrations and self care, support by listening and setting boundaries. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Like' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Topic Tuesday // Helping a loved one who doesn't want help // Tues 26 June, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone,

@Gaye1 @Rainbow86 @Pat77 @Befreeforever @Jesper @Zorro @Beautifulday @Lookup @Former-Member @HayleyC @Kiddo @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Womble @Adge

Thanks for joining us tonight! This was a topic that was voted on recently by you, the community, to be discussed as a Topic Tuesday, so looking forward to getting into it. 

In our capacity as a carer or supporter of a loved one, we can often feel quite helpless, lost or even frustrated at times when our loved one doesn’t want help. We can see that they are struggling, we can see how they can be helped possibly, we can see that they need to access help. But the key here is that the other person has to want help. This quote from the thoughtcatalog article makes a strong point:

The missing piece is that the other person has to want help. You can’t force them to believe anything is wrong — wrong enough to warrant some major changes in their life. 1) Change is scary and 2) Admitting you have may have huge innate flaws is scary. 

Other reasons they may not want help:

• Scared
  • Wanting to make decisions independently
  • Denial
  • Ashamed to accept your help

These are just a few thoughts. Before we delve into ways to help, I thought to get us started we could share what you feel it is that stops your loved one wanting help?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Helping a loved one who doesn't want help // Tues 26 June, 7pm AEDT

Hi

I think all of the above apply with my 16 year daughter, also she is dealing with PTSD and is taking her anger out on me as her abuser was my ex-partner.  

all of the above apply with my Bipolar 2 husband @Lauz

Hello @DaisyMay

Hi @Shaz51 Smiley Happy

Welcome @DaisyMay - that sounds like a very tough position to be in. I am glad you have joined us tonight. I'll also be listing a few good resources at the end of this evening, so stick with us - some might be helpful for caring for a young person too. 

Hi Lauz,

In my experience with people (such as family and friends) they are scared of change - perhaps scared that if they do seek help it won't get better and then what do they do? A lot of people are also in some denial about how bad their mental health is, and will say things like 'it's not that bad', 'I'll be fine', or 'it'll get better' which can make it very difficult to help them get the proper help that they need.

When this happens, I find it very difficult to understand how to respond when they seem to not want help? I'm hoping tonight's forum might shed some light on how to better manage these situations.

Hello Shaz51

As you can see I am new to this, I'm hoping it will provide some much needed support. 

Hi 

My first time on a forum. I'm really struggling to help my son who has just been admitted to hospital for the third time this year! It's the same cycle for a few years now, admitted to hospital, discharged, telling all concerned that he will take his meds and of course he dosen't as he won't accept he has anything wrong with him. 

the same with my 18 yr old son.

Welcome @HayleyC! Those kind of comments are so common aren't they? Simple words like 'I'm fine' when you know they are not fine can be difficult to come across. I hope you find some use out of what we discuss here tonight too Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance