Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 13 March, 7pm AEDT

@Former-Member Thanks for your replies. That's something I've heard a few times now in my research - carers being encouraged to end their relationships.

What treatments or supports have the two of you found to be the most positive or helpful?

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 13 March, 7pm AEDT

@Determined @Former-Member @Lauz

My final question for the night is: What would you like to see changed in the way personality disorders are treated in Australia?

The problem I have with that @Former-Member @EliseSunflower (the suggestion that we should leave) other than the fact that I made a commitment for better or worse and that commitment means something to me, where would that leave anyone with mi if loved ones just packed up and left when things get tough.  What other supports are they going to recieve, the system is already overburdened. How about just supporting carers and valueing us rather than in some cases considering us irrelevant.

Rant over 

Not quite

I consider that sort of advice irresponsible, unprofessional and hurtful... 

An additional support we have recently started accessing @EliseSunflower is some relationship councilling that was a referral through our church pastor, councillor is someone who understands BPD through a personal connnection as well as professional training. 

@Determined How are you two finding the relationship counselling so far?

@Determined, @Former-Member, it is soo good to talk about it as if there can be more support given in the future is a good thing

@EliseSunflower, @Lauz, as a wife and carer it is hard to find the balance that we all need from day to day , as every day is different , the ups and downs everyday and we all tend to forget ourselves

Hey everyone - just a heads up we have 5 minutes to go! Smiley Happy 

For me @EliseSunflower including carers and family members in treatment and supporting us through our carer role rather than hiding behind privacy. (With the consent of our loved ones of course). I have often felt as though I was treated as part of the problem not the solution , sometimes based on my darlings alternate view on reality. Professionals should be able to assess this rather putting it off as too hard. 

Also take the time to assess things properly and seek additional info from carers or loved ones rather than writing pd suffers off as attention seekers.

At the ed after a recent attempt (within the last month) while the level of care was high the attempt was not acknowledged as such yet no one bothered to ask what I thought. She told them what they wanted to hear so she would be discharged and she was after a regulatory observation period, so I had to take her home fearing for her safety and there was nothing I could do about it. 

Helpful treatments - forum rules prevent drug names but antidepressants (given initially for OCD/anxiety) induced hypomania and Mr D subsequently got a depression Dx. Following going AWOL he got given an antipsychotic along with AD (don't know why - had marked EPSE - was not in it for long). He was tried in various ADs and then an anticonvulsant was added, this resulted in him becoming increasingly anxious and suicidal. anticonvulsant was stopped for ECT - was then put on 2 antipsychotics + AD, these were all being tapered and he had psychotic depression, he was again given ECT, 2 antipsychotics an AD plus a mood stabiliser. He is now only on mood stabiliser and one antipsychotic - is the most stable he has been in a while.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance