Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling anxious when away from your loved one // Tues. 24 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

Well that’s a bit vague re last post(no, not anzac pun) yes I really need to sort some stuff out it only could remember to do gp referal re psych anyway thx for invite even if my ‘topic’ was not really related. Have a Good Night everyone 😸

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling anxious when away from your loved one // Tues. 24 Apr. 7pm - 9pm AEST

I manage my stuff by talking to my boss who is extremely understanding. I also use counselling. A journal also helps

How do I manage my wories and anxieties 

@NikNik I actually talk about my fears and feelings more than I ever have before. I used to keep it to myself because I don't like talking negativity about my darling .

I only really opened up about how bad thing were early last year after an attempt and subsequent hospital admission. I was at work the next day and my supervisor asked how darling was going, I started off with the usual yeah she's ok then became overwhelmed and unloaded on her. Since then she has always been someone I can talk to.  More recently a fellow student who has indicated some understanding of mental illness (he had a close friend attempt and has been informally a primary support person). 

That and being able to share honestly and openly here on the forum. This space has been invaluable since I found it. 

You're welcome anytime @TAB
Hope your keep on posting in the Forums tonight.
Shall I set some form of reminder for you to remember to go to the GP? 🙂

That's great @Jodieanne ! So important to talk to people!

While we always harp on about self care – It’s so important. It’s the one thing we can all control for ourselves.  Here are some strategies you can put up your sleeve and use at times if the worry or anxiety gets to a point that it’s stopping you from your every day life:

Catch your thoughts: Sometimes our thoughts get away from us. One minute might be wondering how a loved one is and then you’re thinking about the worst case scenario. When your mind gets away from you and your thinking about worst case scenarios, your mind and body react as if they HAVE happened – which is why your heart rate goes up, and you might start getting other physical reactions like a headache, tense muscles, or even experience an anxiety attack.

Remind yourself that this event hasn’t happened and it’s in your thoughts

Think about the things you have in place that prevent this from happening

Be present: To help your mind running away from you, start focusing on things that are in the room with you:

What can you hear

What can you see

What colour are the walls

What temperature is your body

While these observations may not be very exciting, doing this helps you stop your thoughts running a million miles an hour, and brings it back to the present.

Calling a carer support helpline / jump on these forums

Sometimes in the moment, we need to talk to someone about what’s on our mind. Getting it out can be really helpful.

Journaling is an awesome idea too @Jodieanne

@Jodieanne @Determined @TAB @Tanglefoot @Shaz51 What self care things do you do when you’re feeling worried or anxious?

so I'm interested to learn more about how YOU manage YOUR worries or anxieties when you're away from your loved one.

that is an interesting question, I usually keep it to myself as people and family don`t really understand @NikNik

and like @Determined, i don`t like talking negatively about mr shaz but one day i was visiting mum and she said "Have a cry you will feel better"

Take time for myself..... I now go to gym for 45 mins before work. When I know my hubby and daughter are still asleep

I found a few things help
- realising that facing the fear will be uncomfortable
- eating healthy, getting adequate sleep
- find someone you can speak to that will give practical hints (my story will get empathy but a pity party will not foster resilience
- praying (it is documented that spiritual practices help)

In practice, this generally means that I accept the fear is based on history, evaluate current danger, if feared outcome is unlikely, if it is likely, do what needs to be fine to activate safety plan, place myself and Mr D in God's hands and get busy doing something to distract myself.

I’m having counciling. With work and home I felt I was “burnt out” and no enjoyment

I'm so pleased to hear that @Determined
Nothing worse than bottling it up.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance