Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Defining your role as a Carer // Tues 21st May, 7pm AEST

Thanks for a great chat everyone ❤

By the way, getting creative is a great outlet.  I think art helps us to vent positively, perhaps even without realising we are.

The question of networks is a moot point ...

I have tried 2 local carers groups.  One even came with the carrot of a free morning tea and movie.  SOmehow I could not bring myself to go and I just keep email contact now.  I did not feel strong enough to break into new social ground.  Other people also had a lot of need and I had already poujred out so much of my listening time, I knew my needs would not be met by groups.

Mostly I have social contact, if I keep my expressed needs few.  This is the pattern of my early childhood too.

The forum has been good for me ... I have not had to leave the house and make specific appointments ... maybe its just the timing ... coincidence .. luck ...

Good night and thanks for the topic

Hi all,

I know the topic night is finished but I just wanted to say that this really opened up my mind to something I never thought of. I have been a parental sibling since I was 12. I also did what I could to keep my mum alive. As my siblings got older and we all left home I stayed with my nan for a while caring for her now I am a parent. My son has just started going through an asd assessment to work out if he has asperger's or high functioning autism. Drs are positive he has one of them. But I didn't think of myself as being a carer back then and I still don't now, I just think of myself as a parent of a child with disabilities. 

Hearing you @Former-Member.  Referring to ourselves as carers I think is more about defining our role when we need support.  In my situation, by saying that I am a carer for the other four members of the household gets me noticed when I say that things are really wonky at the moment and I need extensions for assignments, or I can’t make class. 

I am not just a wife wife and parent.  What we are dealing with is beyond that, as it is for you.  Accessing financial support also means ticking a carer box on forms.

If you’re not comfortable with the carer title, you can say you’re a parent of a child with disabilities and leave it at that .... ots whatever you are comfortable with.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance