Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Defining your role as a Carer // Tues 21st May, 7pm AEST

Actually @nashy there isnt many people who know about my carer roles besides here, immediate family and some health professionals but often people have assumed i dont even work and when i meantion it i always get the wide eyes and the oh! Reaction. I find most people are generally supportive of carers however it doesnt mean they are physically willing to help.

@Faith-and-Hope sometimes good friends are the best support. I think from my experience with mum, it can sometimes be good to get the 'novice' (not sure how else to put this), clinicians. Like ones who don't try and overcomplicate it and will let you lead the way a bit. I've found working with recently graduated social workers a dream because they are usually really keen to learn as much from you and your lived experience. 

who was saying they'd got to a place where they were able to step back, and not try and fix everything..-- @Tim_YPA , I have not come to the point completly yet

I have a good friend who helps me think through these things and plan it out, which I find always helps.--- have you got some pointers that you can share

@nashy, @outlander , @Tictac 

@Faith-and-Hope  It is really good to hear you're each utilising your own counsellor's throughout this Heart Really positive, and also that you have good huggy friends. It's no easy journey, we certainly are happy to hold space for you as a community here.

@outlander  I am sorry that it is not as freely and openly recognised. Hopefully through conversations like this more people will be able empathise and identify young carers. In addition, maybe even offer some support - even if it is just a small gesture Heart

In relation to ‘how might you discuss life as a carer with others and find support from those in your network as a carer?’
I feel a whirlwind of support here. Get involved with the community. This has been the best thing I have done for myself since my partners first episode of psychosis. Thank you all for your support ❤️

I am big on visual mapping to help me think things through, I probably make like 5 mind maps a day on big pieces of butchers paper. I like keeping myself moving and being creative to help my thoughts come together 🙂 

Alrighty crew! We have reached that time. Thank you sooooo much @Tim_YPA for all of your input tonight, what wonderful insight and on behalf of the entire community thank you for being so open, honest and real with us.

@outlander  @Faith-and-Hope  @Shaz51  @Tictac  and everyone else, cheers for all of your input. Connecting and integrating our stories is a part of the recovery process, so again thank you. I will leave this thread open until tomorrow so you can all debrief around the Topic. Goodnight all! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks @nashy, and thanks everyone for being involved in the discussion. It was really great to e-meet you all.

Have a great evening, and I'll hopefully chat to you on a future forum 🙂 

@nashy, @Tim_YPA  thank you for tonight Heart

I don`t have any close friends in real life

I have wonderful friends here on the sane forum xxx

Thanks and goodnight @Tim_YPA @nashy ..... 

And thanks forum friends who have contributed here.

@Tictac one of the best parts of finding the forums is the realisation that you’re not alone, and others hear you, they get what you are going through, and they care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance