Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Caring about, not caring for // Tues 20 Aug, 7pm AEDT

Hello @Lauz (aka Mrs Lauz 😀).

Apart from Mr Darcy who I care for, I care about my sister and her son who both have MI, my sister has anxiety and depression whilst my nephew has PTSD, BPD and more. 

Hi all 🙂

first time poster here. My 16y daughter was dc with Aspergers 4 years ago, as well as ocd/anxiety/depression/panic disorder and potential ADHD... she is about to be discharged from acute care after 16 days of suicidal ideation and self harm... 

Hello @Former-Member - welcome and thanks for my newly updated title 😉 

Hi all,

I care for my husband who has BiPolar 2.

I find bringing up tricky topics very difficult- it often triggers his anger.

I’m beginning to learn to be brave and just speak my mind.

I hate feeling like facing tricky situations are a trigger, but I’m hoping by doing it more frequently he’ll be able to cope better

Hi @Mum-meh 

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like things are quite tough at the moment, its not easy to see your loved one struggle - hope you get something out of tonight and finding connections with others here! If you feel like you want a bit more help and support through the discharge, do feel free to post your story in the broader forums after tonight. 

Sending you understanding hugs @Georgie_Girl , 

@Lauz , I usually  wait until my husband says more later about how he is 

Welcome @Georgie_Girl 

That must be hard to approach conversations with a bit of fear. Have you found certain ways of starting the conversations help to lower the trigger? Do you feel like you could in a calm moment talk about his feelings of anger when you have those conversations? This might no be doable which I completely understand.

How have others here started conversations with loved ones they are concerned for?

Thats interesting @Shaz51 - and in that waiting time, are there things you do to help make it easier to get to a conversation. Like bonding or rapport building things - sometimes little gesture or activities can help someone feel more relaxed to talk more about whats going on for them?

I find regular texting of my family members reminds them I am thinking of them. I try and phone sis regularly and get them both an occasional item of clothing.  I ring sis regularly.

Picking the right time to ask @Lauz  was always the point 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance