Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday /*CLOSED*/ Managing mental health in the workplace

workplacediamond.PNG

The workplace can help us along the road to recovery. Positive relationships with colleagues, fulfilling work and getting into routine can all be great things for our mental health. The workplace can also be a place of anxiety, uncertainty and frustration.

This week’s Topic Tuesday will feature Eliza Oakley (aka SunnyDaisy) , Manager of Mindful Employer, who will open up the conversation to hear how you have adapted to your workplace when you’re unwell, give you tips and advice if and when you disclose your mental illness and look at what adjustments are useful when working while unwell.

Join us from 7pm – 9pm AEST

Find out more about Mindful Employer -

Hit the LIKE button below if you'll be joining us!

59 REPLIES 59

Re: Topic Tuesday / **LIVE NOW**/ Managing mental health in the workplace

Good evening everyone!

I’m really looking forward to our Topic Tuesday tonight. Work and the workplace can have a profound impact on our wellbeing – both negative and positive.

Tonight we will be looking at –

Disclosing your mental illness in the workplace

Working while unwell

What has worked well, in terms of positive experiences in the workplace

We are joined tonight by Eliza, who is the manager of Mindful Employer.

Eliza, did you want to start with giving people an overview of Mindful Employer and perhaps some of the common concerns you come across?

I'm really pleased to be joining you tonight.  And I hope we can look at useful information for everyone.

Mindful Employer is a workplace program which gives Managers/Supervisors the skills and confidence to talk to employees, if they are concerned about their mental wellbeing.

The main queries we receive are:

• Why don't employees disclose at work?
  • What are appropriate workplace adjustments?
  • When do I refer?
  • Who is best to refer to?
  • What are my legal rights and obligations?
  • What is the difference between asking RUOK and Performance Management?

I also hear from people with lived experience of mental illness in the workplace that they have more confidence at work knowing their employer can deal with situations appropriately, after the workshop.

What do you need to consider before disclosing about mental illness at work?

I'd be interested to hear people's experience around disclosing at work.

This sounds like a wonderful service for employers..

If I ever disclosed my illness again I would certainly suggest your service to my employer to seek assistance. Unfortunately my PREVIOUS employer did not understand, nor see a way to support me during my "upset time" last year..

Hopefully this type of support will assist both employer and employee..

Thanks for sharing your service..

It definately needs to be done when you are well!

You are much better able to handle any questions regarding your work performance and how it may impact on the workplace.

I have mixed feelings about disclosing as I dont want to be known for my illness, nor do I want people questioning my behaviour all the time..

Tricky one.. 😕

Yes, Finding My Way, Mindful Employer is all about employees and their mental health.

By supporting managers, supervisors, team leaders to develop understanding of mental illness and stigma in the workplace and providing the appropriate skills to have effective conversations around mental health concerns, we are looking after the person experience the mental health concern/condition.

I think it's really hard to disclose at work unless you are fully aware and have some accpetance of your illness. For me, and there are a lot of stories like mine - I lost my job before I came to terms that I had an illness.

Lucky I have been able to find work again, but I lost a profession to a very low-paying job.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance