Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Becoming a new parent - "What I Wish I Knew..." PANDA // Tues 13 Nov, 7pm AEDT

@CheerBear - good point. New parenthood can be really isolating, even without perceived or actual judgement. Its also important to remember that everyone is only showing you their highlight reel. We often only talk about the positives, particularly in the public forum. That can really add to the sense of isolation where we feel like we must be the only one who feels this way.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Becoming a new parent - "What I Wish I Knew..." PANDA // Tues 13 Nov, 7pm AEDT

Something we all know in theory is that as a new parent, we’re about to have a huge sense of responsibility for this new family. But the reality of that sense of responsibility can be overwhelming. What advice would you give to someone about to go through this?

@CheerBear - that feeling of disconnection is so hard. But by reaching out there tends to be a roll-on effect. What was it like when you did ultimately reach out and stop "bottling things up"?

Hello @Elke, @Kezk, @s-jay

sorry for being late, it is only 7-30 pm here

Hello @Teej, @CheerBear

my advice is to be as kind to yourself as you would be to your best friend if it was happening to them

This is so on point @dani2 - often when talking with parents on the helpline we will ask the question 'what would you tell a friend if they told you this?' and it really opens them up to realise how harsh we can be on ourselves when if the roles were reversed we would have nothing but care and support to give. Nice one. 🙂

Welcome @Shaz51 - feel free to share your thoughts on anything previously posted. Although we'll be wrapping up here soon, there is still plenty of opportunity to keep the conversation going! 🙂

Hi @Shaz51! Thanks so much for stopping by! Our last question was:
Something we all know in theory is that as a new parent, we’re about to have a huge sense of responsibility for this new family. But the reality of that sense of responsibility can be overwhelming. What advice would you give to someone about to go through this?

What do you think?

I agree @dani2 Heart

I know it is different but it is kind of the same when I became a step mum to 4 children @Elke, @Kezk

The loss of your individual identity can be a bit confronting for new parents – for example the sense of agency or the ability to do what you did before shifts pretty dramatically. Are there other ways that you felt your identity changed, and did you work through it?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance