Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Technology challenge: what works?

Hi everyone,

Technology is playing a big role in health these days. Apps for smartphone are helping people with diabetes, asthma and physical health. There is also an increase in apps aimed to help our mental health.

Here is an article by psychologist Michaell Carr-Gregg, about apps he recommends for psychologists. The focus is on young people, however I found most of them relevant regardless of age.

Do you use any apps that help your mental health?

Here is your challenge.. if you wish to accept...

Download one of the apps on Michael's list and give us a review!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Technology challenge: what works?

Haven't used apps as such. I use twitter sites dealing with #mh as my support. Such as: @SANEAustralia @AnxietyUnited @JodiAman @beyondblue @blackdoginst and many ppl who follow them. Also sites that bring me joy eg art, pets, sport etc 🙂

Hi, that link didn't work on my iPad but I googled it and this link works: http://www.youngandwellcrc.org.au/psychologist-interview-dr-michael-carr-gregg-great-tools-use-young...

Thanks @Tuffsy60  - I have edited my post 🙂

I downloaded the Smiling Mind app for my iPad. It's FREE! Once you register your email or facebook account you get access to the Programs for all ages.

I chose Adults and was then presented with 5 levels of Mindfulness. I looked at Mindfulness 101 and did the Body Scan. I am extremely sceptical about these things but I was instantly won over by an Australian (not American) voice. I have done basic meditation before and this was as good as any other programme I've tried.

Then there are sessions on Breathing, Listening and a Daily Mindfulness Guide. They are all 5 minutes each and you can choose whether to have music or not. The music is very soothing.

The other levels cover things like Food, Feelings, Finding your inner master, Fifty activities to do mindfully each day (nice alliteration!).

I'm looking forward to listening to them all and recommend this app for iOS or Android to everyone.

Tuffsy, the IT Geek

I thought I didn't use an app for #mh then I remembered the 'Balanced' app. It sends reminders to do things that help #mh. You choose from a list of reminders you want sent and how often. Helps to keeps me in touch with how I'm feeling and to care for my #mh

Hey in knik, I have been sharing michael Carr grigg's list of apps with carers, parents and colleagues for a few years. I think he first published an article on apps about 2 years ago..

Hi Tuffsy, sounds interesting.

I'll check it out when I can finally get some sound on my old pc!

BTW welcome to the forum!

Kind regards,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance