Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Mental Health Week Special: Submit your questions to our special guests

Hi everyone,

This MH week we interviewed four people, all with very different expeirences and perspectives of complex mental illness. You can listen to the podcast here

We want to open up the conversation and give you all the opportunity to ask our special guests questions.

Our special guests consist of:

Mark Eustice: AFL legend with a lived experience of bipolar

Meet Mark

Mick: SANE Australia Speaker and lived experience of bipolar

Meet Mick

Dr Mark Cross: Psychiatrist and author

RUOK_Trauma_Mark Cross.jpg

Jack Heath: CEO of SANE Australia

Jack.jpeg

Submit your questions to the guests, who will respond throughout Mental Health Week. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Triple M Mental Health Week Special: Submit your question here.

Thank you to all the guests who shared their wisdom and experience during this segment.

I'm looking forward to listening to the full interviews on the podcast.

Hi @Eagle

We plan on posting the link to the podcast as soon as we can 🙂

Nik

I listened to the forum today and have to say I learnt a lot. It has led me here as a place to come to learn more about this.

So glad you joined @Maybloom
Did you have any questions for any of the guests? Or just having a look around 🙂

Re: Mental Health Week Special: Submit your questions to our special guests

Thank you to these courageous men for not only taking that step to get help but also, for then sharing their experiences with us. As a middle aged woman whose only recently been diagnosed with Bipolar after having been undermedicated and self-medicating with wine for years.... I so relate to these men. And also, hats off to the carers. Again, thank you.

Just stumbled upon this sight by accident and so glad I have. I've been suffering from depression for the last five years as a loss of my mother after a short stint with cancer and I was there when she took her last breath. It's been a hell of a journey and it seems as though after five years I have fallen into an abyss yet again....<br>I'm a recovering alcoholic and have now been sober since 15:8:2014 and have been drinking in an irresponsible manner since the age of 15. I have also been a substance abuser of many types of drugs and now can say I'm clean on that end too. I have taken another step forward by seeking medical advice on two levels to delve deeper into my illnesses... I want to be around for many years for my infant sons...<br>I look forward to these forums.... thanks in advance..
Moved:

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Hi,

My question is to Dr. Mark Cross.

My friend was recently told by her treating psychiatrist not to have counselling for her illness as it would be of no benefit to her. She has severe anxiety and is on a lot of medication. She is stable - not suicidal, able to function on a daily basis and able to socialize within a limited sphere.

I was wondering do you ever advise patients not to partake in talking therapy? What is the rationale behind this? Do you think a patient could be 'damaged' by counselling? 

Thank you in advance!

Sahara.

HI @Sahara,

As a general principle for treatment of mood disorders I usually involve psychologists/therapists as well as looking at social issues (alcohol/drugs/tension at home) as well as sleep, diet and exercise-on top of medication-sometimes I don't even prescribe medication, it depends on what will help the person and where they are in terms of their journey.

I am in favour of anyone being involved in "talking therapy", I see someone (psychologist) regularly myself, it is not only useful it is a good thing to try and understand yourself and improve on your strategies and thoughts.

Mark

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance