Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Healthy Minds Webcast Series // RUOK? Communicating with a loved one who is unwell // Thurs 8 Sep 7pm AEST

Image #4 - Healthy Minds Webcast - Carers cover image 1200x628.png

As part of the Healthy Minds Webcast Series, our second sessions is on Thursday 8 September from 7pm.

The session is Connecting and communicating with a loved one when they unwell.

Missed the session? Watch it here

Learn more about Jo's story.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // RUOK? Communicating with a loved one who is unwell // Thurs 8 Sep 7pm AEST

Hi everyone!

Well what a session!

We have some questions  from the session we could start with and discuss together - but I thought I would put it out first to those joining the discussion.

Anyone want to kick off?

🙂

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // RUOK? Communicating with a loved one who is unwell // Now live!

Hi there,

It was a great session! Thanks for all those involved.

There seemed to be a common theme between carers about helping someone who might not think they need help. I was very surprised that so many people felt the same way I do!

I really liked the tips on how to manage this. My tips are:

- To state your intent is only to help them

- To observe the different behaviours and things I have noticed (ie: you've stopped eating, going to school etc)

Any other tips? 

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // RUOK? Communicating with a loved one who is unwell // Now live!

My brother knows he needs help and takes his prescribed meds never had problem with that. Getting him the treatment he needs is starting to be problmatic. His phtschairst has recommended ECT to help with his depresion and schizo affective symtoms. He won't have a bar of it since he is scared of losing his memory.

I feel that if he doesn't have it then he only going to stay the same as it is now. How do I start a conversation about this without world war 3 starting?

Hi @vmainard40

I know that feeling. 

I find that sharing information from people who have had it done - been there, done that, helpful.

Changing Minds was a documentary shown on the ABC about people in psych units and one patient in series 1 had ECT which they found helpful.

Also, there are Lived Experience Forums here through SANE Australia (like these ones but for people experiencing mental health challenges). So perhaps you could encourage your brother to check out the forums and ask other people about their experiences.

Tricky one!

Eagle - I think for me I just try to continue to maintain my positive relationship with them - which can be hard at times. In my experience there is reluctance - but then after a conversation they slowly come around.

So my tip would be not to push it or expect someone to commit right on the spot.

Great points and very common themes!

@coffeegirl @vmainard40 @Eagle  (& anyone else?) I'd be interested to know what your biggest take away was from the session?

Mine was Jo's point about "carers guilt" I have felt guilty about bugging psychologists, the person I care for, friends I've had to cancel on... guilt guilt guilt!
So just hearing that from someone who's been there was great!

For me it was the question about crisis and escalation.

Going through everything like what a CATT team does, what to expect at hospital etc/

Agree - those were highlights.

I liked the emphasis on treating people with compassion and dignity. It can be so hard to always been compassionate - but it was a good reminder.

For those who missed the survey at the end of the webinar. You can fill it out here - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TRGRLRR
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance