Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Healing Trauma // Tues 20 Sep 7pm AEST

Image #10 - Healthy Minds Webcast - Healing trauma cover image 1200x628.pngAs Part of the healthy Minds Webcast Series, our third session is on Tuesday 20 September from 7pm.

This session is on Healing Trauma

From 7pm - 8pm we will be hosting a live panel webinar featuring:

Chris: Social Worker and founder of Voice Up

Cathy: Medical Practitioner and Blue Knot Foundation President

Mark: Psychiatrist and author

Suzanne: Psychologist and SANE Australia Helpline Manager. Facilitator for the night

Then from 8 - 9, we'll continue the conversation here. 

Register for the webinar  here

54 REPLIES 54

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Healing Trauma // Tues 20 Sep 7pm AEST

Hello everyone, and welcome to our Healing Minds Forums discussion. 

Feel free to post any questions and share thoughts from tonight's webcast. 

Loved the webinar and glad I found these forums. There were some really good points I got from it.

Hi @CherryBomb

thank you for allowing us on the forum to join in.  This is a hard topic for me to talk about.

What i would like to know is how do I heal from the trauma of being sexually abused as a child 9-12yrs by 3 different guys at different times. And how do I heal from the fact that my parents are not talking to me since i told them of my membories of my abuse 6 years ago. They have abandoned me and it hurts so much. I am really struggling. Any advice pls.

Hi @Jadzia

So glad you joined the webinar tonight & a big welcome to you!

What were some of the points you found interesting tonight?

Hi @BlueBay. I don't have advice, since I'm trying to deal with something similar, but wanted you to know you're not alone.

I was repeatedly sexually abused by a family member from 8-9yo, and when I told my parents my Mother slapped me, and my father told me he didn't want to know about it.
My Mother then became closer than ever with the perpetrator, and I was left to fend for myself. That kind of rejection is not an easy place to come from at all.

Hi @BlueBay

I'm so sorry that happened to you. No one deserves to go through what you have. It's huge that you're able to open up and share that with us.

Were you able to log in to the webinar? (I only ask because I don't want to refer to parts of it, if you're not across what was spoken about).

Hello,

@BlueBay I hear you. Same question here.

@NikNik and @CherryBomb what was the "diet" Chris mentioned - something holistic (sorry my brain is like a sieve) and what was that about NSW and more sessions for complex PTSD?

Hi @Love2Read

hugs to you.  I understand totally what you have been through.  xxxooo

Hi Sadgirl, healing from trauma for me is an ongoing journey. i went to many different professionals before I found ones who were able to help me, and I also took part in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions, courses. It takes time practicing what you learn to change your way of thinking about the trauma. Also re your parents their disassociation from you is possible because they can't deal with it, it's easier to blame a survivor or have nothing to do with them than face their own feelings of having failed you, make choices over who to believe. In other words they just can't deal. Doesn't help you with that sense of abandonment but maybe understand their motives. It's not you, it's them. I also found logosynthesis a huge help in healing. Just google it and if it looks interesting find a psychologist who practices it.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance