Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // Why work? Benefits and challenges // Friday, 24 Feb, 12pm AEDT

I'm not sure I'm such a 'trigger' person, I just struggle with the after effects of a depressive episode.
But putting in place strategies to manage my difficulties makes sense. And putting it into a narrative form makes sense too.

Re: Career Chat // Why work? Benefits and challenges // Friday, 24 Feb, 12pm AEDT

We have come to the end of today's CareerChat and I just wanted to recap some of the important info that was discussed ...

1. We have experienced the benefits of work to be;

• distraction from negative thoughts,
  • increase in self esteem,
  • pays the bills,
  • provides contact with others/feel more integrated
  • once you have a job you can more easily go for another one that you may enjoy more, as referees and previous experience count

2. Challenges of work include:

Disclosing to others about your mental illness - 

• Do disclose if you have a supportive boss, if not it may best to guard yourself at least initially. This is a tough one, generally if the workplace is supportive of employees with mental health issues they will make it clear in their mission statements and values statements. Find out.

• We didn't discuss it but having a staying well at work plan is also a good idea, it's a plan which tells others what you/they can do if you're having anxiety. It's a support plan and may be good for supplying to your workplace if you're going to disclose your MI.

Work is sometimes meaningless for you,

• maybe given that you have a job you could seek career counselling to get you into a better job/more satisfying job.

Work takes up too much time, not enough time for yourself

• prioritise yourself more if you can that way work and life are more balanced. If that's not possible consider other ways to achieve more balance.

Managing mental illness whilst at work -

• use your mental health toolbox - they are strategies that you know work for you - but first identify your triggers, what happens immediately before you are triggered and have anxiety?Often you will have a negative thought and there are techniques available which you can learn to reduce the stress they (the thoughts) cause.

• If you are sometimes too critical of your performance, be gentle on yourself, remember you're doing the best you can

• See a therapist/counsellor for strategies and help, there are many good things that do work.

Finally I would like to end with another story about a client who is taking strong chemotherapy chemicals which make him very angry at times, even at work ... it's a side effect.

He needed strategies so that he didn't take out his anger on others (it wasn't personal it was a chemical reaction to the medications)

He began to practice identifying the angry feelings which he could feel rise up in his body and he would sit down and begin to focus inwardly to the point where he could completely block out any need to use the angry energy towards anything/anyone.

After a couple of minutes, when he felt the sensations go away, he returned to his normal activities, having completely avoided acting out his angry feelings.

This is mindfulness based CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) in action - you firstly notice your bodily sensations, then use your mind to stop yourself from acting on the feelings by monitoring your thoughts but doing nothing to engage them, then return to your present moment, refocus and carry on.

He practiced and worked hard to achieve this ability and he really showed that the power of the mind is strong when we set out to harness it.

I hope you're feeling strong today, I hope you're feeling like you can handle whatever comes your way. Please make sure you talk to someone if you're feeling vulnerable, a friend, a therapist.

Thanks for joining us @Former-Member and @BlueBay and thanks to @NikNik too!

All the best til next time ! Smiley Happy

All the best @Former-Member and thanks for being with us today, your contribution is valued and much appreciated.

Hope to chat again soon 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance