Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // What's the best advice? // Friday 28 Oct. 12 pm AEDT

Career Chat.jpg

What's the best advice you have ever been given for finding work as a person with a MI?

This week we will be opening up the forum to you and asking the question 'what's the best advice you've ever been given for finding work as a person with a MI or a disability?'

It can be very difficult to find work when you have a mental illness or disability.

We know there are many challenges to be faced and overcome. Many of us fortunately manage to do it (even if just for short periods) and quite often it's because of the advice with been given. 

So this Friday we hope to learn some from your experiences!

Please join @Renstar from Ostara this Friday at 12pm for Career Chat.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Career Chat // What's the best advice? // Friday 28 Oct. 12 pm AEDT

Hi @Renstar. I won't actually be online for the discussion Friday, but my job as a driver for people who are elderly or isolated due to MI or physical disabilities means I have to be aware of special needs. If there was a centre for people with physical or mental disabilities, to learn some sort of simple easy task, this would greatly benefit these people. It would give them a sense of importance that they are contributing. I originally come from N.Z, I remember years ago there was a centre called Sheltered Workshops, which catered strictly for these people. One girl who was sent to this workshop, was actually able to secure a job as a leader in a factory making shopping trolleys. Her mental age or ability was never questioned, she was never made to feel as though the trainers were wasting their time. Often people with mental disabilities are more reliable than those without mental disabilities because the mentally charged has no knowledge of lying to escape work. They take their work seriously, often writing everything down, like names of fellow workers, times to report to work, transport they need etc. Some of them never learn time, or often financial value, (payment for work done) but they are taught by repetition when to go to work, when breaks (meals) occur etc. Often they will work well past time to leave because the dedication to the job is important. The guy who coordinates most of the shopping/medical trips we have is himself disabled. This has not impeded him in any way, it has actually made him more determined.

Good morning @NikNik thanks @pip for your comments and welcome to today's forum. In this forum I'm asking 'what was the best advice you have received for finding a job ?'

The fact is that many people with disabilities want to work, but face employment barriers that may result in lower employment successes.

I thought we could look to those employed people with disabilities for valuable experience that could help others seeking employment ...

Please join in the conversation 😀

I recently was asked advice about disclosure and I think a lot of people want advice about the same thing.

Today I found a great article in which a focus group provided some interesting insight into disclosure  ...

The results showed disclosure and discussion (about MI) decisions were influenced by the nature of disability (visible, hidden, stigmatized, multiple), whether and when people needed accommodations, and the perceived “disability-friendliness” of organisations.

Interview strategies included ways to emphasise strengths, gather information about duties and work environment, handle inappropriate questions, and address unspoken employer concerns.

Participants gave disability-specific advice to help job-seekers balance their abilities and interests, and use networking and the hidden job market to find favorable opportunities. 

Findings suggest approaches to assist job-seekers to make decisions about disclosing or discussing their disability including;

• present themselves in a straight-forward,
  • disability-positive manner,
  • and find satisfying work based on their skills and interests.

How can you achieve these things? 

Are these elements relevant to you ? ... have you ever been given this advice?

Please join in!

I'm having a mentally slow day, so your post is a bit long for me to digest, but the best advice I was given was not to give up and to look for a job that fits my current skill/cognitive levels. I'm not working in a job that I *think* I should be working in as a 30 year old with 2 degrees, but I'm happy that I have a job within my current skill level and I can do it a feel a sense of achievement.

Hi @Former-Member thanks for that contribution ... Yeah I used a lot of the articles' language

.... so it's not you ... This was not most my readable post Smiley Frustrated  

i think you've pointed to one of the most challenging aspects of finding work - the job you find is often not what you planned. Or dreamed of.

Within a program that I run we do an exercise that helps participants acknowledge and grieve the 'loss of dreams' (maybe those related to previous work/study) ... The result  is that by the end clients have new dreams and a new appreciation for their current skills and capabilities ...

... Sounds like that's where you're at Smiley Happy

I finally accepted that my hopes of studying medicine were not going to happen. I have the grades/exam results, but mentally I wouldn't be able to cope with it. I cried a lot at this realisation. It's hard to let go of your dreams.
But I enjoy what I am doing right now, so that makes it easier. 🙂

Thanks @Former-Member great comments.

Letting go of dreams can be a big hurdle for every person with a diagnosis of MI

so some good advice would be to work on letting go of your old 'dreams' by using self development tools/psychological or career counsellor (or set reflection!)

to focus on new possibilities that still give you a sense of achievement and utilise your skills and abilities ... 

Advice about disclosure...

It depends largely on whether it's a hidden or visible disability according to the research.

Note: 

The following is is not my advice, it is research from an article. 

Whether to Disclose/Acknowledge Disability
People’s opinions about disclosure were strongly influenced by the nature of their disabilities, including visibility, stigma associated with the disability, and number of disabilities.

They also made decisions about disclosure based on the type of organization and their perceptions about the “disability-friendliness” of the culture.

Visible Disabilities
In general, people with more visible disabilities, including those who used wheelchairs, white canes, or other assistive devices, thought it was important to discuss their disability early in the employment process, usually during the job interview.

People with obvious disabilities characterized discussion with employers as an acknowledgement more than a disclosure of disability.

They took the opportunity to put the interviewer at ease and to proactively emphasize how they handle their disabilities so they do not affect doing the job well.

Hidden Disabilities

About one-third of respondents reported having a disability that other people might not recognize. People with hidden disabilities characterized disability disclosure as a personal choice.

Some of them openly disclosed their hidden disability in the job interview just like those with visible disabilities, using the interview as a chance to explain how they would do the job with a disability.

Those who revealed their non-visible disability in job interviews were also generally open with coworkers, and they thought that revealing their disability and requesting accommodations made it easier to get promotions.

Disclosure Decisions

In the research the focus group results showed that there was often a tension between those who advocated open disclosure and discussion of disability with potential employers and those who chose not to disclose at all or to disclose rarely.

To those with obvious disabilities, the issue seemed fairly simple.

And although the groups on the whole advocated proactive discussion of disability with employers, they also stressed that each person and each situation is unique.

They urged each person with a disability to develop a narrative that emphasizes his or her strengths (whether or not disability is disclosed).

Do you have any thoughts on this research about disclosure? Anybody got other advice about disclosure?Smiley Happy

Thanks @Renstar. I guess the impetus for me to disclose my MI is due to the impact it has on my work. I don't want them to think I'm lazy or stupid. But the risk of stigma is high. But re-reading some of your posts, I think if I come armed with some information about schizoaffective disorder and how it impacts me, and then explain how I can still do the work, it might be less damaging than just telling them outright.

Hi @Former-Member yes I think being armed with information which you're familiar with and able to talk about comfortably, is ideal.

In this scenario you could jointly develop a plan to accomodate your needs and this would lead to less stigma and more control over what happens ...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance