Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // The hidden job market // Friday, 16 Sep. 12pm AEST

Career Chat.jpg

Howdy everyone!

You might have heard someone mention “the hidden job market”, a term that refers to the fact that less than 20% of jobs available at any given time are ever advertised or posted in any public way. 

Join @Renstar from 12pm AEST this Friday to discuss ideas and tips to access the hidden job market.

Two things you can do now

1) Hit the 'Like' button below to get an email reminder on the day

2) Can't make the session? Leave you question for Renstar below!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Career Chat // The hidden job market // Friday, 16 Sep. 12pm AEST

Good morning @NikNik and welcome.

Today’s topic is a really important one for those looking for work – it’s all about the hidden job market.

Have you heard of that term? If you’ve been looking for a while you probably have, it refers to the jobs that aren’t advertised, the ones that are created to suit your skills (specially for you!) and the ones you create for yourself.

Truth is more and more job openings are being filled without being advertised.

According to the Wall Street Journal in 2013 companies are creating openings and filling them with talent they know is available, all without publicly advertising the job openings.

The practice is known as "opportunity hiring," and it's more common when the economy is soft and good talent is more readily available to be hired.

Although federal rules don't require that companies post all job openings, many human resources representatives do require public listings of all job openings. They fear discrimination lawsuits or federal audits if they don't make all job openings public. But, hiring managers see things differently, often finding ways around such internal requirements!

In the work you do to find work (and it is work all that resume writing etc) have you tapped into the hidden job market?

A friend of mine is a HR manager and this is her advice ...

• Every person you come into contact with, let them know that you're looking work

• Get up, get ready and turn up - you would surprised how many people don't turn up to interviews but mainly she means ... turn up to the place where you want to work and cold call (more about that later)

• Cold calling works!! In jobs where the skill level can be developed on the job, applicants who are enthusiastic, motivated and keep turning up wanting work (always there!!) - they attract attention and get are first to be considered for the 'hidden jobs'

• ask for work in places that you frequent ... where people know your personality ... they are more likely to offer you a 'hidden job'

• Volunteering is a great way to increase your experience on your CV, develop professional networks where you can later call on them to advise you on jobs going plus ... it's great for self esteem

Have you ever had experience any of these?

So how do you operate in this hidden job market world whilst having an MI? Assuming it’s under some kind of treatment and you’re ready and willing to work … there may still be issues to face.

There’s a great deal of advice for people without MI, one article I liked recently was http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2010/11/04/4-ways-to-tap-into-the-hidden-job-market

It had some good tips regarding getting out there and I’ve included them here … but I’ve added some alternatives to their tips which keep in mind that some of us have MI and are also a little more introverted … so here goes:

1. Tip 1: It's crucial to log off your computer, get out of the house, and talk to people, face-to-face, about your job search.

Alternative: Not only log off your computer, do some deep relaxing breathing, put your comfiest clothes on (within reason – try to look professional) … listen to some motivational CD’s, talk to someone who is able to give you encouragement and internal fortitude.
Ensure you leave the house after your meds have taken effect … say positive things to yourself … believe in yourself. You’re worth it, then – head out.

Yes talk to people but make sure you also let them know how well you have been going and how keen you are to work. Tell them this is a new, wonderful phase in your life and if they know someone who would hire them to give them your number.

1. Tip 2: "Tell every single human being what you're looking for, and ask 'who do you know?'" says Asher. "Talk to everyone—even strangers—about your job search"

Alternative: It can be daunting to talk to anyone including strangers, maybe instead of just randoms off the street – actively go to a place you want to work, with a resume in hand and drop it in to the receptionist (a stranger!).

Remember what my HR friend said – companies like to see people who keep turning up and asking for work … they trust people who are keen and readily available.

1. Tip 3: Instead of focusing only on your Facebook friends, because they usually have the same knowledge as you, try chatting up people in line at the coffee shop.

Alternative: Again this can be awkward … using LinkedIn may be an alternative. It’s like chatting up people in the queue, but not as daunting … You create a simple page with all your details and begin to offer your services to people through making connections. It’s like the coffee queue (they are strangers you’re making contact with after all) but better because your CV is available for perusal and also it’s absolutely normal for people to offer themselves for work on LinkedIn ...not so much in a coffee queue. ..Smiley Wink

There's also been some speculation about whether in fact there IS a hidden job market ... 

And rest assured there IS a hidden job market .. but it doesn't relate to jobs that are kept secret from the public which doesn't exist (or shouldn't ) by law ... it refers only to all of those positions that are NOT advertised.

It does not mean that the company will keep the job a secret.

This is how it works ... the first step a company will take after approving a position is to go their employees for referrals, and they may even give incentive for staff to provide details of a great candidate.

They will do everything they can in accessing their own networks to find the candidate before advertising the position. This is not keeping it a secret it's just seeking alternative methods of filling the role.

So, the more a job-seeker networks, the greater their chance of coming across one of these non-advertised or “hidden” roles.

I work with a company called Ostara and they work with hundreds of job-seekers who come to the disability sector and they find that the great majority of clients find their jobs through their network rather than through responding to advertised roles.

Hope that's clear ... there's a bit out there that it's a myth by it's real!!

In terms of finding work the hidden job market is made accessible by people who are in the job of looking for work for those with disabilities and MI, they are the Job Services Networks and Disability Employment Services.

I know in previous forums we've discussed how disappointing they can be ... and other issues.

If you've had an experience with these networks please share it ...

Bad or good ... 

@Renstar I am so glad that you clarified that point about publicly declaring job positions.

At the beginning of my work life most of my jobs were sourced through friends .So I guess I networked before I heard that word.

Then in public service I heard about the gazette.  I was so glad that many things in the public service were specified and clear .. even down to "hot to do"  job applications. I was the right type and did get many promotions. 

So I have experience of open & hidden job markets.  Also with running own part-time studio for 25 years and helping husband run our company ... that he really never would have had the gumption to follow through on without me.

Yes there are opportunities in the hidden job market. We can create some of our own work too. 

With all due respect, there is a little about the tone of your posts that I felt a little demeaning: eg., it presumed we were all on facebook, did not go for walks and just needed to try harder. Now I have been on the forum for a while, I know that many members do try to do the right things.

I come from a family background where we had a strong work ethic ... one of the last memories of my grandfather is when he retiled the bathroom .. which really did need retiling after 30 years..  in a house that he physically built himself with his sons. It was a couple of years before he died and he looked like he had just come out of Aushwitz .. he had in reality only been in a WWII labour camp but had life long injuries from that including 1/2 stomach.

My problem was I too had a strong work ethic ...... then I got hit with ... "tryhard" ... "being a martyr" ... "what are you trying to prove" remarks ... etc from those in cushier positions or in the workplace. Which I tried not to get to me .. but they did erode away my confidence ... and probably are triggers to why I did SH.

So the CRUNCHER for me ... was that I finally went to the disability networks .. relatively recently ..about 8 years ago .. I wearily did all that was required .. ticked all their boxes ... was reduced to 8-15 hour work expectation ... which was reasonable ... politely ..I  did not roll my eyes when the worker showed me "how to do"  a covering letter ... but just inside I was exhausted ...

I blurted that I was struggling with suicidal thoughts for me .. not just dealing with my siblings ... she actually said to me one of the BEST things anybody ever said to me in my whole life.  She said it within a reasonable timeframe ... she got that .. I was for real ... and said I did not have to deal with those thoughts and should speak about them.  I said I had struggled with them for about 25 years ... and she got that it had taken THAT long for me to get it out .. my husband and children knew ... but all my therapists over time ... somehow ... put blocks up against me ever uttering the words ... they were probably afraid of it ... but it their fear did not really help me .. and my application for disability went through ... then in the officeblock where Centrelink interviewed me ... it came out .. including that I had worked previously for the same dept in the same physical space .. though in an older and demolished tower.

So I have a good thing to say about the  Disability Network and the worker I was assigned to ... I felt normal and I could relate to her as a worker to worker ... not all the patronising of the "helping profession".

I knew and she knew that I HAD been capable of doing her job ... but in the broader scheme of things .. I was better of just teaching a few kids and looking after my son.

If my son gets settled ... which may happen soon .. I would be very happy to go back to someone like her ... and get help to get a part-time job in a school .. but if that puts other teachers out of a job ... where is the right balance ...

I feel like I definitely earned my pension ... and that I am somewhat disabled ... but still have strengths ... which I use ... often without payment ...

Hi @Appleblossom thanks so much for your feedback.

And of course your story which is inspiring and honest.

In all, the hidden job market is about networking and of course you do what you can in whatever way works best for you ... I am an introvert and I prefer subtle less confronting ways of accessing networks ... for others it may be different.

The important thing to note is that there IS a hidden job market, it's not a myth, it may take some activity on your part to access it but it's definitely worth going about trying to access it ... if you're serious about looking for work.

Now we've come to the end of our forum time and I just wanted to express thanks again for your sharing @Appleblossom... I know contributors come back and read the forums, I believe it helps to read about people's real life experiences. 

Hope you have a great weekend Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance