Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // The hidden job market // Fri. 21 April, 12pm AEST

Career Chat.jpg

We have all heard the term “hidden job market” but what is the hidden job market?

20% of jobs are advertised through mainstream services such as Seek, but where are the rest of 80% of jobs that are available out there.

This week’s discussion will explore all the many avenues of the hidden job market and discuss ideas and tips on how to access that 80% of jobs that are ‘hidden’ and available.

Two things you can do now

1) Hit the like button below to get a reminder on the day

2) Can't make the session? Leave your question below

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Career Chat // The hidden job market // Fri. 21 April, 12pm AEST

Hi @Wwmoe @Former-Member @Tanoozle @Former-Member

Just a quick reminder that Career Chat is kicking off soon Smiley Happy

Nik

Thanks @NikNik, I will be following along as best I can.

Hello and welcome everyone.

Really excited about today's topic, and am excited to  hear all your experiences of the hidden job market.

About 70-80% of jobs that are available are not advertised through mainstream mediums such as Seek. This is known as the Hidden Job Market. The percentage of jobs available in the hidden job market varies between industries, the size of a business and also the type of job individuals may be looking for.

So how are these jobs in the hidden job market accessed? Any why aren’t they advertised?

Advertising vacancies can be a time consuming and expensive process for many businesses. So if an employer can find candidates or employees within the hidden job market themselves, then why would they advertise?

There are many avenues that individuals can use to access jobs within the hidden job market. One of the key elements of success to tap into the hidden job market is to build a network to meet as many people as possible. This can be a confronting process for many people and it is important to find a method that is comfortable for you.

I will give you two examples of how I managed to tap into the hidden job market that helped me get a job.

First example:  I was unemployed, living at home and my confidence was low. I was young and wanted to go out with my friends but did not have the money to do so. My mother was working at the markets when she was speaking to a customer of hers explaining that I was looking for a job. The customer told my mother that there is a job front of desk available at a salon she was employed at and that I should go and hand in my resume. The next day, I walked into the salon to be greeted by a girl, who was actually the manager. I spoke to her briefly about the position and gave her my resume. The same day she called me to come in for an interview and I was successful in obtaining a position which I remained there for nearly three years.

Second example: After three years working in the salon I wanted to work in an industry where I was able to make a positive difference in people’s lives. But I just was not sure what I needed to do and how to go about it, but I knew that I needed to approach having a career in a different way. One day I opened the yellow pages to the recruitment section and randomly selected an employment service. All I wanted to do is speak to a professional for career advice. I called the employment service and requested a meeting for a career chat. Few days later I went to my meeting and spent more than 2 hours speaking to a staff member about what I wanted to do. Within one week of the meeting, the same employment service called me and offered me a job as a receptionist in which I gratefully accepted.

These are different examples of how networks are built and you don’t need to join large groups to do this.

I would love to hear stories and examples of how you tapped into the hidden job market. Did it work for you? If so what did you do? Also good to hear examples of what didn’t work for you.

Hi @OstaraAust,

This is my first time joining in career chat because I usually have another committment on Fridays. My lack of employment is a huge part of my muddle. I have Asperger's syndrome along with a fairly complex psychiatric history and consequently I super struggle to maintain social contacts. I recognise that this is a problem when it comes to employment because of what you are saying - namely that a lot of the time getting a job is more about who you know rather than what you know. Thus, I don't actually have an answer to the question you pose...but I'm going to sit here and see what others come up with. Smiley Happy

Hi, sorry for being late to the forum.
I'm a Carer and looking at getting into some part time work.
Most roles i see advertised which seem to correlate with my experience are full time roles. I'm keen to see what ways there are to find part time roles without being full time furst

I had some part time and contract roles last year. These were short term gigs and via friends.

Any tips on ways to access this hidden market? Is cold calling an option these days? Or is good ol' nepotism the way to go?

Hi @NikNik @Tanoozle @Phoenix_Rising @OstaraAust

My experience has been:

After I moved to a new location after having to give up my previous job, I needed to find work. At the time part time work that I was physically able to do (I have a physical disability) was very difficult to find. I knew nobody in this new location I had moved to. And I was used to always working, so I joined a volunteer organisation where I helped out in an aged care facility.  As a result of contacts I encountered through this, I subsequently was put in touch with a job which was not advertised to the wider community.  And I was asked to come in the following day and was successful in obtaining the job at a local small independent school. I was there in admin for 3 years before the school ended up closing.  After that, I again was directed to another position which had not been widely advertised, and again I was successful in getting that position.  So I have been lucky.

But I think without having the benefit of these contacts, I would never have even known of the existance of these positions.  It seems very unfair really.

Sherry 

@Phoenix_Rising accessing the hidden job market does not necessarily mean to build a network it must be done face to face. In a digital society, social networks can be developed online for example LinkedIn has many groups where discussions of interest can be joined, in addition within these groups jobs are promoted only to members of these groups. Another option is also connecting with an employment services provider who can assess your skills and limitations to help you identify suitable employment opportunities. Employment services providers are also another avenue to access the hidden job market as they have a network of employers that seek candidates from these services as it is cost effective for them, and the employers are already familiar with hiring candidates of disability and mental health challenges. 

It is also important to have a really good idea the type of employment you may be interested in to assist you focus on opportunities that are out there for you.  

https://jobsearch.gov.au/service-providers/search?jsk=1 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance