Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday, 10 March, 12pm AEDT

Career Chat.jpg

You are applying for a job and competing against many other candidates, how can you stand out from the rest of the pack?

What tips can you share that has helped you to get the job?

@OstaraAust will provide you with some useful tips on how to stand out to a potential employer which may be useful to land you the job that you want based on your skills and abilities.

Join the conversation from 12pm AEDT Friday 10 March.

Two things you can do now:

1) Hit the 'Like' button below to get an email notification at the start of the session

2) Can't make the session? Leave your tips or questions below

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday, 10 March, 12pm AEDT

Good morning! Thanks @NikNik, welcome to CareerChat.

Today's topic is: How to stand out to a potential employer ...

Hope you're keen to join in!

From a personal point of view, the things that you need to do to stand out when you're looking for employment are found in the detail ... everyone can churn out a letter, drive to an appointment and sit in an interview room, but it takes lots attention to details to really stand out (sometimes it's the obvious stuff but mainly it's in the detail).

Let me elaborate ... 

You're not going to believe me when I tell you that in a group of six people  I interviewed recently only 2 had brought in a copy of their resume with them... Smiley Frustrated

Another brought nothing with her and could not really remember any other details about past work ... Smiley Embarassed

And one was not even sure what job he was going for ... really? Smiley Indifferent

The others were ok but did not stand out.

Only 2 stood out and of these 2 ... one stood out because she was very experienced.

So really she was applying for a job that she was not stepping up into - it would be the same old same old for her - and that concerned me for this particular role (something to think about when you don't get the job).

The other, the candidate who was offered the job was stepping up into the role, had done something similar and had brought in a folder full of information ... nice Smiley Wink

She shared fresh copies of her resume to both people in the room (impressive although we had it ... but still) and was able to provide really great answers to the behavioural questions (which we'll get to later!).

Within that one experience of hiring, I can definitly point to at least a dozen tips that if you take on board you will stand out (mainly because no one else is doing them Smiley Very Happy)

... and have an excellent chance of either getting the job or being considered, they may even keep your resume (having potential employers keep your resume for future positions is not a bad thing in terms of how well you did in the interview and future prospects).

But honestly the interview stage is the very final stage of standing out in the crowd to a potential employer ... there are so many other things you can do before you even pick up the phone or send out your first letter.

Today we are going to explore these things and with special attention to those of us with mental health issues and gaps in resumes ...

So please join in the conversation and let us know how you stood out from the rest and got a job! (even if you are no longer in that job now we would love to hear your past experiences) Smiley Happy

Welcome!

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday, 10 March, 12pm AEDT

So based on my recent recuiting experience, which showed me that there needs to be a lot of education on the topic ... 

Here are some tips for standing out from the crowd even before you have sent that first application  ...

• When you're looking for work make sure that you meet the Key Selection Criteria.

Yes, sometimes when you know someone at a potential employer's and they know you and they believe you can do the job they may see you without needing you to address all of the key selection criteria -

But !! Most companies will only see people who meet the key selection criteria, otherwise you are unqualified to do the job in their eyes. I cannot emphasise this enough!

• Then, have your resume up-to-date, clear, concise, do use bullet points, absolutely no spelling mistakes, have it read by a friend, have it read by a business person, make it perfect!!!

Another case of, I cannot emphasise this enough! 

• Have a short-term goal, and objective to tell your prospective employer where your mind is at right now employment wise … 

• And also have a long-term objective. Think about what you would like to be doing; do you want to grow with the company? Do you want to stay in that same role for as long as possible? These details will help you stand out.

• Make sure you highlight all your technical and transferable skills - I'll post about these later. 

• Include all previous employment and make it relevant. Tell a story of your working life ... including explanations for gaps (more about this later also).

So for example if you're applying for a job now that apparently has nothing to do with a previous role you were in, find a way to link them.

For example there may be transferable skills which you honed in that previous job which you can easily transfer.
      Focus on those in your description of tasks performed at that job.

• When you write your cover letter include the date, check for spelling, make it neat, find out the person's name (don't address it Dear Sir/madam or To whom it May Concern or HR department or anything like that) ... get the person's name and address it to them, it's professional and stands out.

• Contact the receptionist or someone at the place where you are applying and ask them their name tell them your name and tell them you're going to be applying you're just double checking the details to make sure they will receive it. 

• Then after you have crafted your cover letter which highlights your strengths but also addresses every single one of their key selection criteria (don't bother applying to jobs for which you don't match the key selection criteria)

• Sign it off, once again checking for spelling have someone else read it if you're not a great speller and attach your immaculate resume ... Then hope for the best but don't stop there apply to the next job and the next job and the next job …

• If my hunch is correct you'll get a call back, that's when the real fun begins! The interview Smiley Happy

Hi @NikNik and @OstaraAust,

Great list!!! For me additionally really important is the research into the company. Why do you want to work there? How will you be able to fit into the organisation? How will the organisation benefit from you...

I also find it important that the person knows what they want and that is where I think agencies like Ostara have to help people with MI to really understand what they are capable of and how they can utilise their strengths and to help them gain confidence again.

I was able to stay in my job during my struggle, but friends that I have met in hospital and day programs that have left or lost their job, are really in desperate need of help to "reinvent" themselves and to gain perspective, hope and confidence again. Without that they can write and show up to any interview (if they manage to get out of bed for the interview and are not drowned in self doubt) and won't get the job. I really think theee need to be more services and also coaching programs for people who really want to re-enter the job market. I know there are also some who don't.

So no one has picked me up on it yet Smiley Embarassed

... but i forgot one more crucial thing to do before sending the application - 

RESEARCH THE COMPANY you're applying to!

It's a must, the more you know about your prospective employer the more you will stand out. Simples.

Now ...

Remember that poor (disorganised) applicant who couldn't remember any of her past work experience? I mentioned her in first post ...

Actually she may have been great for the job, she did meet the KSC (key selection criteria) well enough but when we asked her how she would respond in certain situations (behavioural questions) the poor dear (deer) froze.

Now potential employers know that you're nervous. They get it.

But when you can't answer at all, they get worried.

So part of your job (and it is a 'job'  applying for work) when planning to go to an interview is to recall anecdotes and examples of how well you do what you do ...

For example: how you're a team player, how you respond in a crisis, how you deal with irate customers etc etc.

By having your resume with you, perhaps a copy with prompts and names written on it (a little cheat sheet if you will) ...

You will quickly recall situations and incidences that will give the potential employer a really good handle on who you are and how great you would be for the role.

This is really important if you want to stand out: the ability to answer the behavioural interview questions by recalling your stories. 

These stories are important to the potential employer and they're fundamental to you if you want to stand out, so start recalling them!

Actually, I've got another story about recruiting.

This time an applicant stood out for the wrong reason.

She was a person who could tell a story, she told a story all right and then couldn't stop!! Where was I? She asked us ... umm ... ahh... did I tell you about this/that? .. it was a 2 hour interview which should have lasted 1 hour at most.

Smiley Frustrated

A part of me (the caring, sensitive part not the irritable, time-poor potential employer part) wanted to teach her this:

The STAR method for answering behavioural questions! 

And here it is:

Firstly, are you aware of what a behavioural interview questions is?

Behavioural questions sound something like; "Tell us Janet, how have you shown yourself to be a team player in the past?"

Janet might be inclined to say something like… "In my last job at KFC I was a team player".

In her mind, she has answered the question because she pointed to a time that she used team player skills.

Almost well done Janet Smiley Happy

However if she really wanted to stand out to her prospective employer she would give them a lot more information!

By the way ... if this has been you in the past ... let it go!

Follow the instructions to come and next time you will do better Smiley Wink

A great way of organising your thoughts so that you deliver the story/information in a succinct , coherent and interesting way full of detail is using the STAR method.

STAR stands for:

S = situation, When the question is asked, think about it, then begin. For Janet she could have opened up by saying "Yes I was a team player in my last job" ... by defining a situation you have now begun to answer the behavioural question.

T= task, now point to a task that was required of you in which you actually did work as a team player.  

Did someone need you to coordinate something?

Did someone ask you to step into a role that you weren't used to?

Did you send out emails to everyone so that communication could be distributed to the whole team?

That is all team playing, choose one and tell us about it ... your employer will get a better idea of who you are and who you're going to be in the role.

A = action. Now go on to describe what happened, what you did, give some details. At this point don't waffle on, get to the action and then straight to the result (the best part!)

R = result, result, result, don't forget to tell me the result!

Janet will stand out from the crowd if she can show the potential employer how her actions as a team player resulted in something really positive happening in her workplace.

Did I mention the importance of result, result result? Smiley Very Happy: Good.

... extra for the advanced job seeker!

T = tie back. This is one that I tell the people in my vocational training sessions if you can tie- back it's definitely going to help you stand out …

"So I think you'll find that my ability to be a team player means I  could be a great asset to your company given its expansion strategy over the next few years ... I read about that on your website" (or something like that, nothing cheesy, just be real - see how I got the info about company in?? Yep.)

You don't have to do the tie back as I suggested above, but I'm generally impressed when I hear it!

So if you want to stand out from the rest you need to prepare for getting a job as though you were preparing for your car license.

• You need to get all the information right,
  • know the rules,
  • learn how to do various actions properly (behavioural interviewing)
  • and finally ace it on the day - which you can do it's just very nerve wracking!
  • But once it's done it's done.

Hi @Former-Member how are you?? Haven't heard from you in a while?

Yes ... so funny, in my next post I noticed I'd forgotten the information about the Company and put it in! We're on the same wavelength ...

@Flower wrote:
Hi @NikNik and @OstaraAust,

Great list!!! For me additionally really important is the research into the company. Why do you want to work there? How will you be able to fit into the organisation? How will the organisation benefit from you...

I also find it important that the person knows what they want and that is where I think agencies like Ostara have to help people with MI to really understand what they are capable of and how they can utilise their strengths and to help them gain confidence again.

I was able to stay in my job during my struggle, but friends that I have met in hospital and day programs that have left or lost their job, are really in desperate need of help to "reinvent" themselves and to gain perspective, hope and confidence again. Without that they can write and show up to any interview (if they manage to get out of bed for the interview and are not drowned in self doubt) and won't get the job. I really think theee need to be more services and also coaching programs for people who really want to re-enter the job market. I know there are also some who don't.

That last statement there ... I did try just to cut to that bit but it didn't work ... yes it's true. 

There are places which provide coaching for people who really want to re-enter the jobmarket, Ostara is indeed an example.

I'm not here to spruik Smiley Tongue but I run a Vocational Training program, entirely free and very focused on coaching.

Yes, people with MI have special difficulties including motivation, confidence, resilience and practical things like gaps in resume. I'll talk about these shortly ...

Can you share how you got the job you're currently in (clearly you stood out!)

Great advice, great post. Many thanks ...

@Former-Member you have brought up a great point about coaching for people with MI. Thank you ... Smiley Happy ...

Some of the special difficulties include but are not limited to  motivation, confidence, resilience and practical things like gaps in resume ...

The way to stand out if you do have a MI and you lack soft skills (like the ones mentioned above) is to seek out a DES or JSA, find out what programs they have and put your hand up. 

Chances are you will gain skills that those without MI won't have and you will definitely stand out from the crowd. 

It's worth the time and investment in yourself, plus you make contacts and create a network. If you're lucky you'll perfect your resume and begin to learn cover letter writing skills.

If it all seems too daunting remember they are there to help, an excellent resource and well worth a look.

The issue of gaps in resume is one that also needs to be discussed as it is really relevant to those of us with MI, I will do that next.

Gaps in the resume

If there are gaps in your resume due to time off with MI issues you've got some decisions to make.

You can disclose to your employer and with that submit a Staying Well at Work Plan (this is a document that describes the specifics of your mental illness, how it's been treated and whom to contact if you are put in circumstances where you're experiencing issues).

Staying well plans are a very good idea for people with mental illness issues, but as we've discussed before there needs to be a great deal of trust in the prospective employer for you to be able to disclose that comfortably and safely.

This is often the greatest issue, but it can only be dealt with on a case by case basis. When you apply through the DES or JSA you won't have that issue as your Employment Consultant has made your potential employer aware of your needs.

When deciding about a gap in your resume, you could treat your mental illness like a physical injury (which it actually is to the degree that it is physically debilitating).

You were not able to work due to an injury I've seen a gap described this way and I don't disagree with it.

If you don't agree then you may need to listen to Guy Winch's TEDTalk in which he describes psychological injuries as being similar to physical injuries … and he asks why don't we treat them that way?

Very interesting ... see it by clicking on the link below (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2hc2FLOdhI

Ultimately the way in which you portray yourself as a person with mental illness is entirely up to you and disclosure is extremely subjective and optional.

You must think long and hard before disclosing and if you do disclose it is strongly recommended that you have a staying well plan as this will help mitigate any stigma, misinformation and fear a potential employer may have.

Have you ever used a Stay Well at Work Plan? or any plan along with disclosure?

The other element of the resume is the way in which it reads, it should read like a story of your work history and in this way you can close the gaps

You will stand out from the crowd if your resume is easy to understand, if it flows and if it leaves me without a doubt about how you got to where you are. Some work stories are difficult to follow, there is opportunity in your resume to describe why you left each job (Reason for leaving; Illness) which answers any doubts in your employer's mind.

Take time to tell yourself or do therapy in order to reveal, the story of your career so far. What happened, why? What is another way of re-telling that story which is true but which doesn't talk about your mental illness and instead focuses on all the wonderful work or skills that you have?

The letter does not tell the story, it's the resume and the letter should just tell me how you meet the KSC.

If your letter and resume do this you will definitely stand out!

PS If you are filling in an online application and they are asking you to answer questions, do it! Don't write - refer CV or refer resume ... we want to hear it in your words. There's a reason ... trust the process Smiley Wink

Now how about those transferable and technical skills?

A transferable skill is something that you are able to do, it's an ability/skill that you have which you can apply not just to the one job but to a variety of jobs.

So the obvious transferable skills are customer service, typing, filing, using a cash register, dealing with budgets, management skills, all of those things/skills that you can apply over and over again in different roles.

This contrasts with technical skills such as mechanical, engineering, teaching/training, medical, sales,technical skills etc.

The reason why transferable skills are so important and it's important for you to know which ones you have, is that you will stand out from the crowd when you're able to talk about them in a positive manner using examples.

Usually in an interview your prospective employer will be looking for your ability to use transferable skills and may want you to answer questions that highlight how, when, why and where you have used or would use the transferable skills. 

Ahhh yes the old behavioural interview questions… now that you know how to use the STAR method it should be a piece of cake (with practice!)

And if you know how to answer behavioural questions in relation to your transferrable skills you will certainly stand out from the crowd!

Thanks for all the great information!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance