Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // How to handle overwhelm when you get that job // Friday 4 Nov. 12 pm AEDT

Career Chat.jpg

In this week’s forum we’ll be talking about the very real feelings of overwhelm and anxiety that can overcome you when you finally start work.

These are completely normal and to be expected; everyone experiences some adjustment anxiety. But when you have MI, if you haven’t got your strategies in place or your mental health toolbox/network sorted out, it can be an even more difficult time.

This week, let’s explore what it takes to make it through those first few weeks and months in a new work environment. I’m sure of our contributors will also provide good ideas.

Please join @Renstar from Ostara this Friday at 12pm AEDT for Career Chat.

Two things you can do now

1) Hit the 'Like' button below to get an email update on the day

2) Can't make the session? Leave a quesiton below to be answered on Friday

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Career Chat // How to handle overwhelm when you get that job // Friday 4 Nov. 12 pm AEDT

Good afternoon and thanks @NikNik

Today's topic is overwhelm at work, particularly when we first start with a new job ... while getting the job is seen as the hardest part for some of us staying in the role is also difficult .

Some of the things that clients and people on this forum have expressed are overwhelm, stress, distress, anxiety, difficulty with keeping up with routine ... To Name a few.

What have been your experiences with beginning a new job?
And what are some of the things that you've done to help those feelings of overwhelm and perhaps stress or anxiety ?

Whenever I go and approach a new job there is always a sense that I am anxious or of butterflies in my stomach and feeling unsure. I can interpret that as anxiety and certainly there is a bit there but it's also anticipation and excitement.

I'm wondering how often we maybe misread our bodily sensations and interpret what is actually anticipation and excitement ... As anticipatory anxiety ?

This may or may not happen to you but it definitely has happened to me ...

I would love to hear your experiences too 😊😊

Re: Career Chat // How to handle overwhelm when you get that job // Friday 4 Nov. 12 pm AEDT

Just thinking now about some of the things I have in my toolbox for coping with any stressful situation which would also be useful for work related overwhelm ...

• Exercise - I love walking but if I wasn't as mobile maybe weights or a punching bag. The punching bag might be good because it's something that helps with frustration - you can hit the bag while you imagining the thing that is stressing you out!Smiley Wink

• Body work - Pilates or Yoga is also good for relieving stress and centering yourself. What about simple stretches WHILST you're at work? This can help too (remember that cortisol is building when you're stressed, the only way to get rid of it is through movement)

• Meditation - I've mentioned this before ... go to a stall in the work bathroom and do a five minute mediation exercise when things start to get stressful. Do it for yourself at home too to maintain a calmer state of mind ...(after the punching bag) Smiley Very Happy

• Deep breathing - Do this as you feel the stress build up. It can be done anywhere and is private and very effective, as you do either picture something very pleasing (a happy place) or count up or down either way. I like to do the Slow Breathing technique, in for 4, hold for 2 then out for 6. 

• De-stress on the way to/from work: Music is calming and distracting, listen to something that is comforting or reminds you of good times (get that Dopamine going).

• Use YouTube on the way to/from work: I started doing this a long time ago and still keep it up when I'm stressed  .. .When on my way to new jobs I would put on YouTube meditations or talks by people I love listening to (Tony Robbins!). This way I was actively doing something with my mind, rather than worrying and it gave me something to do.

• To de-stress after you leave work (or anywhere): Start mentally planning your evening. Take a less stressful route, if the highway is always backed up, then take a longer but less annoying route. Stop for dinner before you head home so that you make the drive during a less stressful time of day. Consider changing your work hours to avoid rush hour.

• Consider a daily gratitude practice: We don't really discuss this much but I like the idea of using writing for therapy, that means I write what I'm grateful for in a diary every other day and this instantly takes me to a more pleasant place mentally.  I also write lots of other nonsense ... but
    that's ok, it's all about reducing stress and changing my mindset.

• De-brief with a good therapist: Book in an evening phone consultations with your therapist. It's invaluable if you find someone you trust and can do that with then do it. I have gauged it's helpful for clients to debrief their day, there are many online or telephone services that offer counselling not just emergency (LifeLine) help. Think about it ... I was once asked on this forum how do I find a good therapist? Trial and error is the answer as with all services Smiley Happy

How about you? Do you do anything more specific to work? Anything different?

I hope there's a new or helpful idea in there for you...

And hugs Heart to you if you're having a down day ... if any of this is affecting you!! Remember we're here for a chat .. i'm here til 5 

Thinking about some of the potential causes of work related overwhelm at work ..

There is overwork, lack of clear instructions, unrealistic deadlines, lack of decision-making, job insecurity, isolated working conditions, surveillance, and inadequate child-care arrangements ...

Are you personally experiencing any of these?

And if in fact you were experiencing any of those conditions (like overwork lack of clarity in work, unrealistic deadlines etc) ... would it be possible to approach your manager or HR with a plan like this ...

• Have a plan that you have prepared together with your mental health professional of the exact duties of the work and create strategies for dealing with the demands/issues identified in the job

... let your MH professional guide you towards strategies.  Also consider giving a copy of this to HR if your mental illness is disclosed. 

• Have you considered a gradual return to work. Allowing part-time work for several weeks may help reduce stress, leave time for additional counselling and allow the you to more easily get back into a normal 'work' routine. 

Of course this is IF your employer has been told about your MI, a choice entirely yours.

What can be done to help overwhelm and stress if it is not disclosed?

Is that an important question out there?

What is it like to feel overhwlmed at work everyday? Or some days? Is anyone experiencing this right now ... 

What is it like to feel overwhelmed at work everyday? Or some days? Is anyone experiencing this right now ... 

The forum is open until 5 o'clock so feel free to post comments ..
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance